[SOLVED] Migration assistant best practises

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazpaul

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hi knowledgeable squires,

My brothers old 2007 Macbook Pro is still chuggin along in Mavericks but its painfully slow. I told him I could clone his HD using Carbon Copy Cloner, then format the HD and install Yosemite fresh.

After yosemite installs we would use the migration assistant to migrate data from the Carbon Copy clone.

My question: I'm trying to convince him that he shoiuld only copy over his user data and nothing else. He wants to copy over everything - applications, users, settings.... is this a good idea???

I was saying that he could be better just installing the apps freshly as copying over all the old apps he could be copying all the sluggishness that went with them???

Maybe im wrong?

Solution
both would work, but your method is the right one. You should re-install all the application fresh. However, he will loose a bunch of things like settings or add-ons he might have done to the applications.

Also, he "might" have to re-pay for some applications.

But I am wondering why you would think the new OS yosemite will be faster? If anything, to make his computer faster, you should downgrade or re-install the same OS as he has now.

Also, I would suggest you switch his HDD with a SSD. The ssd hard drive will make the computer soooo much faster. It might add a year or two of good use to the laptop. Also the prices are cheaper and cheaper for SSDs.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
both would work, but your method is the right one. You should re-install all the application fresh. However, he will loose a bunch of things like settings or add-ons he might have done to the applications.

Also, he "might" have to re-pay for some applications.

But I am wondering why you would think the new OS yosemite will be faster? If anything, to make his computer faster, you should downgrade or re-install the same OS as he has now.

Also, I would suggest you switch his HDD with a SSD. The ssd hard drive will make the computer soooo much faster. It might add a year or two of good use to the laptop. Also the prices are cheaper and cheaper for SSDs.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.