[SOLVED] MikroTik cAP XL ac, or Aruba AP-205 ?

dkqmail

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Hi,
I'm planning to upgrade my WiFi network. Now, I wonder whether to buy "MikroTik cAp XL ac" or "Aruba AP-205". The price is more or less the same in my country.
Which one is better for the apartment?

Plan2.jpg

1,2 - room; 3 - kitchen; 4 - bathroom; 5 - hall; (1 room is divided by a wall unit)

Solution
It depends on why you want a actual commercial AP. There are many features in AP that only you can decide which are important which are not.

If you are talking about radio coverage this is impossible to predict because it greatly depends on how the building is constructed. Also the AP is only half the connection your end devices are the other and there technical specifications are just as important.

Where is your main router in this configuration. That is not a huge area and your main router should cover it unless it is located say on a different floor.

My guess is they will be about the same. They both have similar radio stats from what I can find . Without knowing the chipset it is hard to say if there is any...
It depends on why you want a actual commercial AP. There are many features in AP that only you can decide which are important which are not.

If you are talking about radio coverage this is impossible to predict because it greatly depends on how the building is constructed. Also the AP is only half the connection your end devices are the other and there technical specifications are just as important.

Where is your main router in this configuration. That is not a huge area and your main router should cover it unless it is located say on a different floor.

My guess is they will be about the same. They both have similar radio stats from what I can find . Without knowing the chipset it is hard to say if there is any difference. Likely there is not almost things like this transmit at the legal maximum power allowed by the government which means they will have similar coverage.
The key here is almost no wifi hardware vendors make their own wifi chipset. They all buy them from 2 or 3 vendors so in many cases the chips are the same for units with similar numbers.

Most the difference is going to be software related to the management of the AP. Many of these fancy ones tend to have features designed for when you have a very large number. This all depends on why you want a actual AP. A cheap consumer router set to AP mode will likely perform wifi about the same again since the wifi radio chips are regulated by the government.

Solution