[SOLVED] Mild Overclocking of 3700X question

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hi all, Not an expert in this stuff at all. MB is Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus.
I just want to reassure myself that I did enough and didn't break anything.

I enabled PBO and increased the memory speed to 3200MHz.
I could not find XMP memory mode.

Is there anything else that I should consider?

thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the feedback....yes, just completed it last week. The last system I built was 7 years ago, so many of the tweaks and controls have changed. The intended us is for photo editing (Lightroom) and some gaming.

Now we wait on the AMD Bios update to 'fix' the overclocking ability.....

again, thanks for the feedback.

Ah, cool. You got the build bug again :)

For your use, the build will be excellent. It will be relevant for another 3 years, and with a GPU upgrade within the 3 years, will still rock most things (Gaming specially, or Editing/Rendering) for another year or two after that, and then some!.

Ha, yes, the bios fix is only to address the advertised boost speed (which is on one core only), and will not address...
Running like that, you should be fine. Just monitor your temps. There are lots of things to consider.

TBH though, why do you need to OC? It's already a beast of a CPU. Either way, before going further read about OC'ing. Here's a good guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

The way precision boost works, means often it's best not to OC a Ryzen 3xxx series (in traditional OC'ing). They are pretty much maxed out. Letting PB(O) do it's business is often the best way to get most from Ryzen 3xxx CPU's.

Thanks for the reply...so if I understand, I really should leave it as I have it? Just enabled PBO and increased memory to 3200?

What is XMP? Do I already have it?

It might be called DOCP, not XMP. And you really should try to enable that instead of just pumping up the clock speed because it also sets timings to be compatible. And also make sure DIMM voltage is set to the modules rated voltage. DOCP might do that, but check anyway to be sure.

Enabling PBO is good enough, for the most part, since it's easy and provides just that little bit more. Good luck and enjoy :)

XMP/DOCP are just the different names the mobo manufacturers have for the same terminology, more or less, for Intel or AMD mobo's.

XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) is what Intel call the mem OC timings/settings.
DOCP (Direct Over Clock Profile) is mostly used by Asus, and for AMD CPU's.

They are almost interchangeable, and I think some mobo manufacturers use XMP even with AMD chipsets/CPU's.

Reactions: DMAN999
Thanks for the reply...so if I understand, I really should leave it as I have it? Just enabled PBO and increased memory to 3200?

What is XMP? Do I already have it?

Yes, exactly.

On my Asus B350, there is a DOCP option on the main screen of the bios simply the options are 'Enabled/Disabled'. It's my understanding that if the DIMMS have XMP timings then this auto switches to enabled.

On the main memory screen of the bios, I simply select from a drop down menu the ram speeds. 1200 = 2400mhz (DDR) 1500 = 3000 etc etc. It should be similar for you. My dimms don't have an XMP profile, so I manually OC them. With XMP/DOCP it's all done on auto, you only have to select the speed, check it with CPU z in the SPD/Mem tabs that it's running at 1600 (thats what CPUz will show, as it's DDR, which means double 1600 = 3200mhz) and your good to go.

Sorry, for some reason I haven't gotten a notification for this thread, so didn't see your reply until now.

Agree with drea, enjoy! Hopefully you have a nice GPU to play games with. It should be a beastly system.

Last edited:
Not at all. The things you are doing, your system is designed to do. That's the great thing. You are simply maxing the performance of the system as it's able to do. You are not pushing anything to the limits or anything like that. You are not shortening the lifespan of your system either.

With that said, I'd ask you list your full specs, including PSU. Hopefully you have a good PSU, because if it's old, or not a good unit, that would be the only thing I'd be worried about which such a nice system.

Also, sorry for my last edited post, I just wanted to give more context on the mem performance, and took a while to bash it out on my phone!! haha

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies.....DOCP = XMP!!! yay, now I don't have to keep looking for it....lol.

Here is my system; I believe I should be ok.....but always nice to have it audited.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BBYbnH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW2 GAMING iCX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00) - overclocked.
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Auria EQ276W 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
External Storage: Western Digital My Book 4 TB External Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-04 13:29 EDT-0400

Thanks for the replies.....DOCP = XMP!!! yay, now I don't have to keep looking for it....lol.

Here is my system; I believe I should be ok.....but always nice to have it audited.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BBYbnH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW2 GAMING iCX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Auria EQ276W 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
External Storage: Western Digital My Book 4 TB External Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-04 13:29 EDT-0400

Ahhh, nice. Solid 1440p high end gaming system. There is very little I'd change there. For 1440p 60hz, you will have a great gaming experience.

If it's more for productivity it will rock most other systems out there too!! Some good choices in there. Did you build yourself?

Yes, I have a 3700x on an Asus ROG Strix B450-F and I have PBO and DOCP enabled.
That should give you the best performance with the least amount of effort.

Yeah, totally agree. Even though Ryzen 3xxx has now beaten Intel for IPC, and is only behind on clockspeed, the 3xxx series are pretty maxed out. Having an all core OC isn't really gonna gain that much, and PBO seems to a better option. The all core OC more often than not won't even hit the boost frequencies, which is slightly dissapointing, and with the news that not all Ryzen 3xxx cores are all equal, it's even more difficult to hit a stable all core OC. You just don't know which of the cores will not hit the boost speed.

Anyway, I digress, and am slightly off topic.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the feedback....yes, just completed it last week. The last system I built was 7 years ago, so many of the tweaks and controls have changed. The intended us is for photo editing (Lightroom) and some gaming.

Reactions: DMAN999

Ah, cool. You got the build bug again :)

For your use, the build will be excellent. It will be relevant for another 3 years, and with a GPU upgrade within the 3 years, will still rock most things (Gaming specially, or Editing/Rendering) for another year or two after that, and then some!.

Ha, yes, the bios fix is only to address the advertised boost speed (which is on one core only), and will not address the issue of 'all cores being equal', which it would have been with Ryzen 2xxx/1xxx. Still, it's at least something from AMD to give back.

If you are satisfied with an answer to your issue, please select an answer to close the thread.

Good luck, and happy build week :)

Solution