Mimedia Online Storage Sends HDD For Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I still do not understand why you would pay somebody to back up your info, whatever it is. HDD have crashed to such a low price that you can buy a few of them for the 250gb storage price and have back ups of your backups. $50 will buy you a 320g hdd.

You then do not have to worry about their system going down for whatever reason, having your stuff lost or hacked into or any number of other things that can and do happen to data once it is outside of your control.

If your stuff is really that important, why would you hand it over to a third party?

I'm sure the business will be huge, but it still baffles me.

mattamonett

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Use windows sky drive. Free. Then you can pick this up free.(http://cloudstorageexplorer.com) To make backing up super easy and super accessable.

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]mattamonett[/nom]Use windows sky drive. Free. Then you can pick this up free.(http://cloudstorageexplorer.com) To make backing up super easy and super accessable.[/citation]
However, each individual file is limited to 50 MB.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
What decade do you live in? $50 gets me a 500GB where I come from and anything lower in capacity is hard to find.

Not so much decade as country. Thank you for further proving my point. I did find a 500g for $50 but it is a seagate and I have had very bad luck with them, others may have had great success, not me however. So I will have to shell out an extra $7 to get a WD.

Decade is a little long, you should have used year instead. In 2000 80g was $475ish. It was about 2007 that prices really started to fall. So in actuality, you should have said "where have you been the last couple of years?". I would have also accepted the phrase "few years".

I promise to do more research in my next post so that I am not out by that crucial 180 gigs which seems to have so disturbed you. My apologies.

mattamonett

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]enzo matrix[/nom]What decade do you live in? $50 gets me a 500GB where I come from and anything lower in capacity is hard to find.[/citation]Very True

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]lljones[/nom]I still do not understand why you would pay somebody to back up your info, whatever it is. HDD have crashed to such a low price that you can buy a few of them for the 250gb storage price and have back ups of your backups. $50 will buy you a 320g hdd.You then do not have to worry about their system going down for whatever reason, having your stuff lost or hacked into or any number of other things that can and do happen to data once it is outside of your control.If your stuff is really that important, why would you hand it over to a third party?I'm sure the business will be huge, but it still baffles me.[/citation]

What if you house burns down? I guess you could pay for off site storage, or carry your backup drive to work with you where it could be stolen.

What about the online access? I find it easy to share my pictures through the service I use. I also stream my mp3 library through my WinMo phone to my car stereo.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Well if your concerned about your house burning why don't you have a fire proof safe? They are fairly cheap and you could put your portable drive in there. As for people stealing your stuff at work, I would change places of employment. I have scan tools worth literally $5,000 and have not once worried about locking my tool box because I trust the guys I work with.

I also have a very neat tool for sending files and photos to friends, uploading songs etc. It's called my computer.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to pay for a device and then pay someone to use that device for you, more power to you, it's your money, give it away however you want.

[citation][nom]lljones[/nom]Not so much decade as country. Thank you for further proving my point. I did find a 500g for $50 but it is a seagate and I have had very bad luck with them, others may have had great success, not me however. So I will have to shell out an extra $7 to get a WD.Decade is a little long, you should have used year instead. In 2000 80g was $475ish. It was about 2007 that prices really started to fall. So in actuality, you should have said "where have you been the last couple of years?". I would have also accepted the phrase "few years". I promise to do more research in my next post so that I am not out by that crucial 180 gigs which seems to have so disturbed you. My apologies.[/citation]
Take a chill pill, dude. I meant no offense.

"Well if your concerned about your house burning why don't you have a fire proof safe? They are fairly cheap and you could put your portable drive in there. As for people stealing your stuff at work, I would change places of employment. I have scan tools worth literally $5,000 and have not once worried about locking my tool box because I trust the guys I work with.

I also have a very neat tool for sending files and photos to friends, uploading songs etc. It's called my computer.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to pay for a device and then pay someone to use that device for you, more power to you, it's your money, give it away however you want."

And +1 to this

G

I've tried mimedia and although the interface is clean -- I've found their service slow (Probably why they need to send you a drive home vs carbonite or OpenDrive.com). Anyway, for the price I just don't see it worth it (Really, $1300 a year for 2tb?!?!?!). I've tried both Carbonite and Opendrive.com for backup and have to say I'd much rather use those two services -- both for the price and the fact that OpenDrive has been very fast for me and has a ton of features I've found useful.

Anyway, I guess we'll see where MiMedia is in a few months -- otherwise competitors like Carbonite or OpenDrive.com will continue to see my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts