[SOLVED] mine a pre-mined gpu? is it safe?

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
I bought a 2 or 3 year old gpu, GTX 1060 6GB.
the gpu was out of warranty/guarantee when i bought it.
it seems to be mined. The part i worry about is That it has crazy coil whines. When is idle like desktop or music or browsing web, it at anytime without any exception has this sound.
When running a high end game, it sounds exactly like this and very lower volume version of this, and sometimes if i run games too long and too much( for weeks) then exactly like this (not this loud, if the video for example is at 100%volume then gpu = 60%). but nothing serious no performance impact. but recently i haven't hear it sound like the taser for months(maybe because i don't play games anymore).

this was the situation of the gpu. now lets get to the main topic,
what happens if i do minings on this gpu? does it kill it? damage it? make my pc get green screens or noises on screen and then turn off and never turn on again with getting a black screen?
i can't buy another gpu i bought this by chance, i'll never be able to buy anything again. you might say so don't ruin it.
then i have to say that, recently i don't play games anymore. i even don't use the pc for days, while old times it was my life.
and i have to say that the money of mining is so high in here, means if i do minings on this gpu, then after 5-6 months of 24/7 mining, i can buy another GTX 1060 (Though, my motherboard(slot) and psu(is a 550W) doesn't support another gpu).
So is it okay to mine using this gpu?

Solution
can you provide more details on your theory?
i cannot agree with it, wasn't over prolonged maximum usage and inappropriate temp (meaning high) that causes wear and tear?
Agree or disagree....there is no way to predict when YOUR specific device will die.
We have no idea how it may have been used and abused earlier.

Maybe he had it running for 2 days, minimal use, then put it back in the box.
Maybe he had it overstressed 24/7 for 3 years.
Either way, that is mostly irrelevant. Die tomorrow, die next decade.

There is literally no way to predict.

DSzymborski

Titan
Maybe, maybe not. GPUs don't have odometers.

Your plan also has gigantic holes in it. You're far more likely to spend more on electricity than you earn from crypto-mining than have enough profit to buy another GTX 1060 in six months, let alone buy the additional equipment to use it. Even something that's profitable at this moment rapidly won't be; the second something's profitable, people with rigs designed for mining will just scoop it up.

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
Maybe, maybe not. GPUs don't have odometers.

Your plan also has gigantic holes in it. You're far more likely to spend more on electricity than you earn from crypto-mining than have enough profit to buy another GTX 1060 in six months, let alone buy the additional equipment to use it. Even something that's profitable at this moment rapidly won't be; the second something's profitable, people with rigs designed for mining will just scoop it up.

I had a plan for the electricity before.
i have saved some money previously just for the electricity. also in my country the electricity is much cheaper than other places( $0.04 instead of $0.14(us) ). and this is just in case. because my use is so low that i think it's okay to leave it to my dad.

and i forgot to say. i won't keep it mine 24/7. i just turn it on when the air conditioner( cooler ) is on. because without it, the gpu temp reaches 65~7c and i won't ever again let it reach 70. i have set an command to turn off the pc at 67c .

and another thing, i didn't take it serious, i just want to have at least $1 per month (i even don't have 1$ per several months). means i won't do it 24 hours ( also i don't want another psu rma).

DSzymborski

Titan
I had a plan for the electricity before.
i have saved some money previously just for the electricity. also in my country the electricity is much cheaper than other places( $0.04 instead of $0.14(us) ). and this is just in case. because my use is so low that i think it's okay to leave it to my dad.

and i forgot to say. i won't keep it mine 24/7. i just turn it on when the air conditioner( cooler ) is on. because without it, the gpu temp reaches 65~7c and i won't ever again let it reach 70. i have set an command to turn off the pc at 67c .

and another thing, i didn't take it serious, i just want to have at least $1 per month (i even don't have 1$ per several months). means i won't do it 24 hours ( also i don't want another psu rma).

Does your dad know that you're transferring money from him directly to you? He'd be eating the loss for your mining. Perhaps you could earn this money honestly, you know, helping him out in some way in return for the money rather than just taking it from his wallet? But I guess, stealing is easier.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I won't get into what mining IS, per se...but understand that:

In the first place, many of the Nvidia cards were NOT the choice for mining in the "lower" tiers because they did not perform the calculations at the price to performance level that (in particular) RX 4xx/5xx series cards did.

In a situation where people were mining AND making money it was through the use of multiple GPU and ROOMS FULL of similar systems working.

Having one GPU in a system trying to run mining is a whole lot like peeing in a rain storm, IMO. You will be using electricity, heating a room, and will not be realizing anything worthwhile as far as profit. The hardware for profitable mining has surpassed home brew GPU rigs as far as that price to performance on specialized hardware.

Perhaps it would be better to ask pops if he has any special money earning projects around the house, or maybe you can grab the old lawn mower and a gas tank and cut some grass (etc?)

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
Does your dad know that you're transferring money from him directly to you? He'd be eating the loss for your mining. Perhaps you could earn this money honestly, you know, helping him out in some way in return for the money rather than just taking it from his wallet? But I guess, stealing is easier.
Yes, i have talked about it several times, i didn't want to talk about it but you wanted:
they don't care about electricity money, they think they care and save the elect.. but they are not.
they leave the cooler on in that room when no body is going to go there for long,
they punish me for turning off lights like toilet or kitchen when no body is going to go there until tomorrow,
they leave the bathroom light on for days, until i get aware and immediately turn it off and tell them why the hell they are doing this all the time?
they believe my pc is using the highest elect.. in our home while it is only around 50 watts when idle and ~250 watts when maximum usage of everything, here the specs: g4560,1060 6gb, b250m bazooka, 550W 80plus gold, 2x4gb g.skill aegis, two simple fans one from an psu and other one is small, 23mb35pm-b, only a 120gb ssd, and a mice and keybrd. NOTHING ELSE.
as i said, i don't play games or this kind of intensive use, when i use pc its 80% idle. and when running anything its just 1080p and 1060's 1080p power usage is 89w according to tom'shardware.
another note, i rarely do works like a blender project or typing something for someone, but i don't touch the money, until needed for something serious. and if i use that money for the elect.., i'm increasing that money okay? as i said elect is not expensive here.
can we now talk about gpu life instead of these unimportant things?

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
Like it or not, other people have ethical stances. Since this appears to be you taking money from your parents' wallets, I can not ethically provide any additional help or advice. This is a bad idea on many different levels, from ethics to your numbers.
i help my parents in different ways, much more than anyone in my whole family.
when i do something for profit or someone gives me money, i'll give it to my mom for expenditure( dad doesn't live with us). i'll help my parents in their jobs to reduce their exhaustion, i always do jobs beyond my responsibility, and i'm probably going to find a job to help family,sooner or later.
i never thought i'll need to talk about these things to know something about a gpu at tom'shardware.
and another thing about my life if you like to hear this kind of stuffs:
my dad is not a good person. he always betrayed us, financially and emotionally. he'll never change. getting more money from he is a big victory for us (he is not poor about money).
satisfied?

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
A used GPU may last 5 years, or it may die tomorrow.
No matter what you use it for.
i cannot agree with it, wasn't over prolonged maximum usage and inappropriate temp (meaning high) that causes wear and tear?
why should a quality and nice gpu dies suddenly? without any unsuitable action?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Agree or disagree....there is no way to predict when YOUR specific device will die.
We have no idea how it may have been used and abused earlier.

Maybe he had it running for 2 days, minimal use, then put it back in the box.
Maybe he had it overstressed 24/7 for 3 years.
Either way, that is mostly irrelevant. Die tomorrow, die next decade.

There is literally no way to predict.

Solution