Minecraft Dev Wins Interim Injunction Over Scrolls Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

TW_Honorius

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
i think people will call the game skyrim more than any other long ass name with the word scrolls in it.

Also, nintendo will sue any game with the word "Super" in it if the injunction is lifted.

dillonpeterliam

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
I really like Bethesda's games and will end up sinking allot of hours into Skyrim, but suing over "Scrolls" is just nit-picking. I'm glad Mojang are winning thus far . .

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
You know, if there was any case where gamers should have stepped up and made their voices known it should be on this. We should not only have made it known that we are not confused by the Elder Scrolls series and Notch's game called Scrolls.

I also think we should have expressed to Bethesda how unpopular this is amongst it's consumer base (gamers). It's a shame that all other groups of people who share something in common can protest, and help make changes even women in the middle east who risk being severely punished
by lashing, beatings, imprisonment, or even death. Under those extreme conditions they still stand up, yet the majority of us gamers remain silent when our possible punishment is what? A self imposed action of missing out on a single title?

If Notch's scrolls sells for $20, I will buy it three times instead of buying Skyrim once. Notch's game doesn't even intrest me at this point, but I would rather give my money to him than Bethesda at this point despite my desire to play Skyrim. Maybe I will go out and finally buy a 360 and buy the game second hand when it comes out.
This way I can get the game legally and not give Bethesda a penny.

stereopsis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
There is way too much litigation happening. People should just get on with the business of making games and letting the games speak for themselves.

monktongaz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Bethesda have a legal right to defend their trademark if they feel it necessary. If you're a fan of Mojang, are you honestly suggesting that Bethesda are denied this right?

There is something here that doesn't fit. Mojang claim that they offered to change the name of the game. This would have dropped this thing dead, so why didn't they follow through and actually change it?

We're not getting the full facts here, and making hasty judgements based on only one view (Mojang's) of the whole is ridiculous, both in this case and in life in general.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I'm really sorry, but I think this is a rare case where Bethesda had a point. Any time someone said 'Scrolls' I thought they were just people referring to Elder Scrolls in short-hand. I have never played Elder Scrolls, nor do I plan to. But I would never have even looked at this game because I immediately assumed it was 'another Elders Scrolls game.

I also thought Minecraft had something to do with Blizzard, because they have a tendency to add '-craft' to the suffix of their Strategy games... Star-Craft, War-Craft, Mine-Craft...

IMHO, the creator of the Minecraft/Scrolls games is strategically using recognizable pieces of other people's IP in a confusing way.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I don't get why this trademark stuff don't apply to movie titles.

I am not really familiar with kid movies. I saw "Puss in Boots" at the redbox the other day and decided to rent it thinking it was a spinoff thing from Shrek that went straight to DVD. I got screwed. It was some cheap ass knock off garbage and after the fact, I read the find print and saw "not the Antonio Banderas movie coming out in the end of November".

My point is that this is quite purposeful consumer confusion just to get my buck. Sure a buck isn't much to myself personally, but I am sure redbox and this scumbag movie studio make a good amount of money off this purposeful consumer confusion. And they do this same thing with many feature movies. I have seen this many times. This time I actually got snagged.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]I don't get why this trademark stuff don't apply to movie titles.I am not really familiar with kid movies. I saw "Puss in Boots" at the redbox the other day and decided to rent it thinking it was a spinoff thing from Shrek that went straight to DVD. I got screwed. It was some cheap ass knock off garbage and after the fact, I read the find print and saw "not the Antonio Banderas movie coming out in the end of November".My point is that this is quite purposeful consumer confusion just to get my buck. Sure a buck isn't much to myself personally, but I am sure redbox and this scumbag movie studio make a good amount of money off this purposeful consumer confusion. And they do this same thing with many feature movies. I have seen this many times. This time I actually got snagged.[/citation]
It does. Avatar was supposed to be the movie about the Last Airbender... But because Cameron beat them to the punch, he got rights to the Avatar name, and Avatar: The Last Airbender had to switch their name. It confused a LOT of people too... You could literally be talking about a completely different movie for a whole conversation before you realized they other person was thinking about Blue Aliens or Martial Arts...

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]It does. Avatar was supposed to be the movie about the Last Airbender... But because Cameron beat them to the punch, he got rights to the Avatar name, and Avatar: The Last Airbender had to switch their name. It confused a LOT of people too... You could literally be talking about a completely different movie for a whole conversation before you realized they other person was thinking about Blue Aliens or Martial Arts...[/citation]

Well, William Shatner should have his ass handed to him by Dreamworks for this scam.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]Really...really Bethesda?You do not own the word "scrolls"."Move along, move along."[/citation]
If it was iScrolls it would be a completely different matter of course...

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I'm really sorry, but I think this is a rare case where Bethesda had a point. Any time someone said 'Scrolls' I thought they were just people referring to Elder Scrolls in short-hand. I have never played Elder Scrolls, nor do I plan to. But I would never have even looked at this game because I immediately assumed it was 'another Elders Scrolls game.I also thought Minecraft had something to do with Blizzard, because they have a tendency to add '-craft' to the suffix of their Strategy games... Star-Craft, War-Craft, Mine-Craft...IMHO, the creator of the Minecraft/Scrolls games is strategically using recognizable pieces of other people's IP in a confusing way.[/citation]

I guess if you have the habit of immediately appropriating a word with a companies IP, you can fall victim to this. I'm assuming when people referred to a "craft store" you also thought they meant a WoW auction house?

It seems to me customers need to wise up and really know what they are buying, rather than just shell out money because they assume that because a game/movie shares a part or even the same title it is the same series/IP.

G

They really don't give people credit. Thinking the word "scrolls" is going to confuse us feeble minded little people?

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dspider[/nom]Has anyone noticed how this site is becoming more and more about law issues?[/citation]

You're right, we need a Tom's Law site for this kind of stuff. lol

Also, I would have paid to see these two go at it in Quake. Would have been awesome to see something like this get settled with a good ole fashioned fragfest.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]I don't get why this trademark stuff don't apply to movie titles.I am not really familiar with kid movies. I saw "Puss in Boots" at the redbox the other day and decided to rent it thinking it was a spinoff thing from Shrek that went straight to DVD. I got screwed. It was some cheap ass knock off garbage and after the fact, I read the find print and saw "not the Antonio Banderas movie coming out in the end of November".My point is that this is quite purposeful consumer confusion just to get my buck. Sure a buck isn't much to myself personally, but I am sure redbox and this scumbag movie studio make a good amount of money off this purposeful consumer confusion. And they do this same thing with many feature movies. I have seen this many times. This time I actually got snagged.[/citation]

Puss in Boots is a very old childrens story which is most likely public domain now, so there isn't much that can be done about anybody using the name.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I've played Morrowind and Oblivion. I intend to play Skyrim. Irefer to the games by these names as does everyone I know. Using "The Elder Scrolls III/IV/V" or "TES III/IV/V" just increases the likelihood of a "Which game is that" response.

By ZeniThesda's logic no other game should use "The" or "Elder" and "Eldest". I almost hope someone comes out with a game titled "The Eldest Parchment."

G

I'd respect Bethesda more if they fixed their crash-laden engines instead of engaging in dick-wagging. Their brand would be worth more if their games could last more than two hours without freezing and requiring a force-quit.

(yes current drivers yes capable system yes working anti-malware no other games doing this except Fallout 3 and 3 Vegas and Oblivion... the Gamebryo engine just plain sucks on Windows)

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]It does. Avatar was supposed to be the movie about the Last Airbender... But because Cameron beat them to the punch, he got rights to the Avatar name, and Avatar: The Last Airbender had to switch their name. It confused a LOT of people too... You could literally be talking about a completely different movie for a whole conversation before you realized they other person was thinking about Blue Aliens or Martial Arts...[/citation]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender
It was the name of cartoon it's based on. There was no race for trademarking the name of it, who ever told you that there was, lied you.

Status
Not open for further replies.