Minecraft Has Generated $80 Million in 15 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmike_49[/nom]so how much of that $80 mil actually went to the game devs????[/citation]

Probably over 90%, since Notch has payment by credit card directly through the minecraft site, which he also owns. Notch by himself has at least a few million, since he had enough to fathom funding Psychonauts 2.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
"Statistics

25,079,091 registered users, of which 5,374,920 (21.43%) have bought the game."

The game was ~$20 USD in beta, ~$30 now. Even assuming everyone paid Beta prices, this is still $27 million more than the $80 million reported here. Why the discrepancy?

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I just do not get the minecraft thing. I tried it when it was free (beta). I have seen people use the paid version. I personally cannot justify spending money on this. If I ever get bored to the point of wanting to play minecraft I will download the Unity engine (free) and "create" something for real. Heck even the Unity tutorials are more entertaining than minecraft. It's just not for me, but go ahead and . . . mine?

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]"Statistics25,079,091 registered users, of which 5,374,920 (21.43%) have bought the game."The game was ~$20 USD in beta, ~$30 now. Even assuming everyone paid Beta prices, this is still $27 million more than the $80 million reported here. Why the discrepancy?[/citation]
I believe the game was ~$10 when it was in alpha and that was released well over 15 months ago so that is probably why.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]"Statistics25,079,091 registered users, of which 5,374,920 (21.43%) have bought the game."The game was ~$20 USD in beta, ~$30 now. Even assuming everyone paid Beta prices, this is still $27 million more than the $80 million reported here. Why the discrepancy?[/citation]
I believe the game was around 10 or 15 bucks during alpha.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]I just do not get the minecraft thing. I tried it when it was free (beta). I have seen people use the paid version. I personally cannot justify spending money on this. If I ever get bored to the point of wanting to play minecraft I will download the Unity engine (free) and "create" something for real. Heck even the Unity tutorials are more entertaining than minecraft. It's just not for me, but go ahead and . . . mine?[/citation]
Then you didn't try the paid version, and what you played wasn't beta if it was free. It was probably just the alpha version on their website, which is a lot worse.

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I have tried the pc version, cracked and have the cracked android version too, never got into it, graphics wise horrible. I havent tried survival mode so it may be a bit better, but yeah, never saw the appeal, 5 mins into the game i got bored. Now is there a destruction mode for the game? is there weapons where i can nuke my building instead of just removing the blocks?

[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]Note, they live in Sweden, so probably 1/3 to 1/2 their revenue went to taxes.[/citation]

Government doing what it does best by leaching off the backs of who actually work, create, and innovate. Government taxes to keep the corporate owned fat cats happy. Almost all the government services are run on debt to the banks :s

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]I believe the game was around 10 or 15 bucks during alpha.[/citation]
Yeah, I bought it back then, right after they had the login server issues and opened up to everyone for a weekend. I have to admit, that's the better way to deal with a login server outage, as opposed to Ubisoft who just shuts down all access for the weekend or EA who just simply shuts down servers completely. It was somewhere around 10 euro which ended up being like 12-13 USD at the time. Considering the number of hours of play I've gotten out of it building redstone monstrosities and whatnot it's been well worth the price.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
My kids love this game. Glad to see the developers making money off of it. Much happier than with some publicly traded company like Activision taking most of the profits and screwing the programmers.

Flameout

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]I just do not get the minecraft thing. I tried it when it was free (beta). I have seen people use the paid version. I personally cannot justify spending money on this. If I ever get bored to the point of wanting to play minecraft I will download the Unity engine (free) and "create" something for real. Heck even the Unity tutorials are more entertaining than minecraft. It's just not for me, but go ahead and . . . mine?[/citation]
it's for kids and people who want to show off

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I bought it when it was 15 Euro bucks. Great game. Haven't played for a while now. But it is like virtual legos, it is a great game to create something, albeit virtual.

MrPintar14

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Ever since I was a kid I had a dream about being able to live inside of my Lego creations, Minecraft is the closest thing to making my dream true

aeurix

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
My friend and I were talking about the algorithms required to track the states of every block and transmitting the vast amount of packets to/from the servers.. we play and love Minecraft, but we cannot wait for the day when a minecraft-style MMO with sweet graphics comes out. We really think it's a new style of game... kind of Crysis like where you can break down your environment, but being able to build your environment on the fly on a massive scale opens up a world of possibilities. Joining one of those mega minecraft servers (~100 people) unfortunately lags quite a bit as it stands now. Would anyone else be interested in an MMO like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.