Minecraft v1.3 Patch Combines Single-Player, Multi-player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Mr. Parrish always reporting what most of the community that cares about said game already knows.

We have known about combining single player and multiplayer for a few months now.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]Why is Mr. Parrish always reporting what most of the community that cares about said game already knows.We have known about combining single player and multiplayer for a few months now.[/citation]

Since when has Tomshardware been up to date?

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]Why is Mr. Parrish always reporting what most of the community that cares about said game already knows.We have known about combining single player and multiplayer for a few months now.[/citation]

As someone who hasn't played much minecraft since before the 1.0 patch (end of beta?) and just getting back into it, this was news to me.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]"Mojang doesn't expect to release rendering optimizations until v1.4."Just fucking hire the Optifine devs.[/citation]

there is no reason minecraft should be

1) so hard to apply mods
2) take up so much resources

as far as im concerned the whole game needs a ground up recode.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
its built on java it is java ho needs a ground up rebuild. but im not sure why sharing a single player map on a multiplayer server is such a problem i`we done it for years now.

Elwenil

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Looks like I won't be updating to the new version in August. My poor little Pentium 4 Minecraft rig probably won't be able to run it with the new changes since it's pretty taxed as it is.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
My 2.2 GHz single core Athlon64 rig has difficulty running Minecraft smoothly too. Optifine improves frame rate a lot, hopefully I will be able to play Minecraft 1.3 on this rig.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Because the single-player mode is a shell on top of a background server, the game emulates and simulates the world simultaneously even when playing solo, thus possibly taking many more CPU cycles. This may not be good news for machines already struggling with the game as is, and Mojang doesn't expect to release rendering optimizations until v1.4.

General:

Improved overall stability and performance
Reduced CPU, RAM & bandwidth usage.

Yeah.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Since when has Tomshardware been up to date?[/citation]

And yet *that guy* chimes in to constantly remind us of this fact. As if it needed to be mentioned.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Interestingly TH has started writing Minecraft articles, but they don't write about other games do they? All I remember is Hardware, Science and Minecraft.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]there is no reason minecraft should be 1) so hard to apply mods2) take up so much resourcesas far as im concerned the whole game needs a ground up recode.[/citation]
For someone with strong opinions, you don't keep up well. Version 1.4 is planned to have a native modding interface (pretty much how bukkit is now, but works for single player as well, hence the single/multi merge). Secondly, it's Java. Java is slow, but it also allows the game to run seamlessly on Mac and Linux systems.

Anyone who has coded any significant project (such as myself) just laughs whenever someone suggests to re-code Minecraft... That would put an absolute halt on all updates for 2 years probably, minimum. Re-coding an application in another language is no simple matter, but I also must realize that no non-coder will ever understand that. C'est la vie.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]its built on java it is java ho needs a ground up rebuild. but im not sure why sharing a single player map on a multiplayer server is such a problem i`we done it for years now.[/citation]
I didn't know this but it makes a lot of sense. Java is the worst performing language I've ever coded in. Cross-compatibility is great but the performance hit is huge. I didn't realize that people still used it.

G

[citation][nom]kaisellgren[/nom]Interestingly TH has started writing Minecraft articles, but they don't write about other games do they? All I remember is Hardware, Science and Minecraft.[/citation]

You forgot Diablo.

Oh yeah, and patents.

Elwenil

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I don't know anything about coding one way or the other but I don't think Notch planned on Minecraft becoming the huge phenomenon or the huge game it has evolved into. It's probably not a big deal to do something simple in Java and if it's not very efficient, it's no harm, no foul, but Minecraft grew by leaps and bounds and it seems to me it's a bit restricted by it's humble roots. I have no complaints really, it is what it is but I do hope that in the future there is a Minecraft 2 that takes into account all the lessons learned throughout the process and is a bit more polished as far as how the program uses resources.

edbrown23

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
For the love of God, could people who don't know anything stop railing against Java without any evidence?! There are charts and posts galore, like this one, http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/which-programming-languages-are-fastest.php?calc=chart&ifc=on&gcc=on&gpp=on&java=on&ghc=on&csharp=on&sbcl=on&racket=on&hipe=on&yarv=on&php=on&python3=on&perl=on , which clearly indicate that Java is one of the best performing languages out there. I've not seen any evidence in recent years of Java's performance being anything but spectacular, considering all of the benefits it provides you with over C or C++. Finally, if anyone bothered to watch any of Notch's live coding sessions, you'd see he still uses the fixed function pipeline in openGL, which is terribly old and slow compared to the programmable pipeline. If you're not aware, openGL is not Java, so again, that's not Java's fault. Blame the programmer, not the language, especially when there's no evidence to back up your claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.