Question Mini-freezing and stuttering - - - is this a CPU issue, If not, what is it and what exactly, is causing it ?

nocturniauzuki

Honorable
Dec 31, 2017
Hello.

I've got an old and probably quite crappy (especially nowadays) "gaming" laptop (specs below) that has a wide variety of issues. Some of them are probably not fixable and I will eventually buy a new computer. However, prior to that I'd really like to nail down the exact cause of one issue in particular and solve (or at least mitigate) it if I can: stuttering in games.

By "stuttering" I don't mean a choppy frame rate. It's the regular split-second freezing on frames. It's been suggested before that it is a CPU issue, so I'm posting this here.

You can see the issue in the following (raw, sorry!) video clip. Don’t mind the noticeably poor frame rate — that’s just because of the video recording software. My normal frame rate isn’t amazing, but it’s smooth enough. The issue at hand can be seen periodically as I’m running around. The most noticeable is as I approach the caravan. It also happens in quick succession several times after that; that biome is particularly bad for it. The game freezes on a frame and then the processing catches up, I guess, and it keeps going.

https://streamable.com/ityzya

This happens in virtually every game. I know some games can just be badly coded that way, but while that may make it significantly worse, there’s clearly something at play on my computer’s end, too.

What causes games to freeze on frames like that?

Your assistance is appreciated!

Specs

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060
RAM: 16gb (DDR4)
HDD: 1TB (87.8gb free)
SSD: 250GB (28.5gb free)

The game is running on Steam, which installs things on my HDD. Not ideal, but it is what it is.