News Mini-ITX board transformed into a Mini-ITX Laptop with a battery and 32GB of memory

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
I have no doubt that the builder had a ton of fun designing, printing and assembling that. I know I would.

IMO, this could have been made more compact, if they used a fanless n100 mini-PC/SBC.
I doubt it would increase cost all that more either.

Alternatively, use a fanless n100 laptop, and modify the hinges so a portable screen can be sandwiched in the clam shell.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
My thought is that a little less compaction would go a long way about this custom build.

What if the right hand side were extended out by a half inch, and right angle cables were used? The entire cable assembly could be "hidden" inside of a bezel and the only visible cable could then be the power cable, making this almost entirely just like a real laptop. (except way thicker as seen in the photos)

My thoughts have strayed in directions like this over the years many times since I've been desperate now for decades, for an entirely build your own laptop due to the market's utter failure to deliver on one. You know, beyond one single provider here, one single provider there, another there. They're always one-offs, and they eventually go out of business leaving you with a lump not unlike just going out and getting a Dell.

ITX is not a laptop form factor. There has been a complete and utter failure to develop a laptop form factor and pc cases to go with it. Ideally, I'd buy a laptop form factor motherboard from Asus, a Lian-Li laptop case, with an MSI LCD/OLED display, which, of course, none of which exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: LabRat 891

LabRat 891

Honorable
Apr 18, 2019
Nice but, not at all the direction the form factor and hardware allows.
Still, this'll get other Makers 'creative juices' flowing.

ITX is begging to be put into a large Pelican-style case or briefcase, as a true (modular+mobile) desktop replacement.

Apr 3, 2024
I wonder if we could bring more processing power, if we sacrifice some of the size. Add a nice gpu to try to boost the textures of the emulator. (Or for any other game that could run on that dingus)