Question Mini PC Storage Capacity

Dec 19, 2022
Is there a reason that nearly all mini PCs have a storage capacity - either combined, or per slot - of 2 TB? I'd love to purchase a mini PC to replace my tower (I don't play any games, so graphics aren't a real problem), but need 4TB on a 2nd drive for all my data.

kanewolf

Titan
Is there a reason that nearly all mini PCs have a storage capacity - either combined, or per slot - of 2 TB? I'd love to purchase a mini PC to replace my tower (I don't play any games, so graphics aren't a real problem), but need 4TB on a 2nd drive for all my data.
Which mini PC? It could be that the mini PC only has an M.2 slot. M.2 drives larger than 2TB are scarce and expensive. But without a specific model to allow us to investigate, I don't believe you will get a legitimate answer.

logainofhades

Titan
Dec 19, 2022
Which mini PC? It could be that the mini PC only has an M.2 slot. M.2 drives larger than 2TB are scarce and expensive. But without a specific model to allow us to investigate, I don't believe you will get a legitimate answer.
In particular, when I asked, Beelink replied that the TOTAL storage capacity of their systems is 2 TB,m .2 + SATA. Minisform seems to indicate that the M.2 slot will accept up to 2 TB, but the offer no maximum on the SATA drives; Reatan states Installed 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe 3.0 4x solid-state drive can be upgraded to 1TB and support 2TB HDD expansion via 1 x 2.5 inch SATA HDD Slot(SATA 3.0 6.0Gb/s), which doesn't really say whether the 2 TB is maximum across the board or the maximum is 1 TB M.2 and 2 TB SATA.

Dec 19, 2022
Actually, the P3/plus is fairly reasonable, for a 4tb M.2. Beyond that though, the price goes up fast.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Crucial P3 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $529.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-19 11:30 EST-0500
Thanks, but my question wasn't about the availability of 4TB drives, rather why mini PCs don't seem to support them, as many of them claim to support only a TOTAL of 2 TB storage, regardless of the number of drives or their configuration (M.2 or SATA).

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, but my question wasn't about the availability of 4TB drives, rather why mini PCs don't seem to support them, as many of them claim to support only a TOTAL of 2 TB storage, regardless of the number of drives or their configuration (M.2 or SATA).
I doubt it is an actual hardware requirement.

Just that, when they were being built and the docs written, thats what is/was available.

The helpdesk person you gt in contact with just goes by the written docs.

If I had a spare 2TB SSD around, I would test this concept with my Beelink GTR.
Existing 512GB + some 2+TB SSD.

vertigo_2_20

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 13, 2009
I agree it's most likely not a true limitation but just stated by them as USAFRet said. You see the same thing in external drive enclosures. That said, if you want to be sure, your best bet is to contact support again but either ask to be elevated to a higher level of support, to speak with someone with actual knowledge vs someone just reading a script, or to ask them to have someone test and verify. After all, a computer OEM should have the parts available to do this, and if they want your business they should be willing to do so. Otherwise, shop elsewhere.

Also, I assume when you say SATA you mean actual SATA and not M.2 SATA, in which case that drive capacity should be whatever size drive it will take (e.g. if 3.5" then 22TB is the largest currently available). Sometimes, you can only use one or the other of two ports, so either the M.2 slot or the SATA port, but even then, you should be able to get >2TB. But you still haven't given any specific models, so it's hard for anyone to give anything more than general advice/info.

In particular, when I asked, Beelink replied that the TOTAL storage capacity of their systems is 2 TB,m .2 + SATA.
Minisform seems to indicate that the M.2 slot will accept up to 2 TB, but the offer no maximum on the SATA drives;
Reatan states Installed 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe 3.0 4x solid-state drive can be upgraded to 1TB and support 2TB HDD expansion via 1 x 2.5 inch SATA HDD Slot(SATA 3.0 6.0Gb/s),
which doesn't really say whether the 2 TB is maximum across the board or the maximum is 1 TB M.2 and 2 TB SATA.
You have to list specific model name of mini pc, you're considering.
Or do you expect us to check every possible mini-pc model for available storage configurations?

If this particular mini pc supports:
nvme M.2, then you have limitations of nvme M.2,​
sata M.2, then you have limitations of sata M.2,​
sata 2.5", then you have limitations of sata 2.5",​
sata 3.5", then you have limitations of sata 3.5".​

Latest posts