Mini pci-e Wi-fi card in new case

Cal175

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Hi all,

I have a hp envy 700-060ea desktop with built in Wi-fi through a mini pci-e card with 1 antenna.

I’m going to move everything to my old Antec 902 (v1 or v2) case as new gfx card demands extra room!

Basically I find the built in Wi-fi works very well and want to use it in my other case. Before I strip everything down - what is the easiest way to accomplish this?

1) Can I take the pigtail lead and reuse it? Im not sure what the end of it looks like and thus what I need to get it working in the Antec case.

2) I’m guessing I’ll need an antenna but don’t know what to pick.
Ideally I want something neat - directly on the back of the case.

I do have a spare PCI-E x4 network card (Linksys wmp600) but no x4 slot on this motherboard. Can I salvage the metal bracket and antennas from that and simply buy a new pigtail(s) to connect up?

Thanks all

Solution
Hmmm ... take a look a this and this. The first is a PCI-E card and the second is an M.2. From looking at the motherboard specs, I am 90% sure you have the first. If so, the pigtail you picked out has the wrong connector type. You want something like this with U.FL to RP-SMA. Yes, you can use 2.
First, be aware that there are different standards ... You probably have a U.FL connector. The M.2 WiFi cards use a MHF4 connector, which is smaller.

Since I'm not 100% sure, I would recommend transferring everything you have to the Antec case. From pictures, it looks like the antenna is held on by a couple screws and should be easy to remove. Installing it in the Antec might require some creativity.

If the pigtail has a RP-SMA (looks like a mini coax connector) connector at the antenna end, you might be able to use it to connect to the Linksys antennas. If not, you would have to buy a new pigtail to use the Linksys antenna.

The U.FL connector (the card end of the pigtail) just snaps on and off. It is very delicate, so snap carefully.

Cal175

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to go the route of buying a new pigtail to use the linksys antennas.

A few other questions:-

I've found this product, which looks like what i'll need. Should i worry about price at all? Just going to get the cheapest I can but not sure if this will affect quality of the wifi connection.

http://

Also, the motherboard wifi card currently only uses 1x pigtail but appears to have connections for 2 - can i simply hook up a second one or would it be for a different purpose?

Couple of pictures attached just to clear up what I mean

thumbnail_IMG_2970.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2972.jpg

Cal175

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

Yeah it's definitely the first one

c03730745.jpg

http://

Thanks so much for the help drew.

You just answered in time too - had my mouse hovering over the buy button when you replied

Will update the thread once I've got the item & confirmed it's all working

Cal175

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
All switched over and working :)

Only issue (not related to wifi) is my front USB ports don't work!
The connections in the two cases appear to be different. Will work this out eventually..