Question something is making my pc unable to boot and run properly

Jan 27, 2024
https://pchelpforum.net/t/pc-keeps-powering-on-and-off-and-wont-properly-start-up.88736/#post-189514
please refer to comment #9 and further for more info.

in short, yesterday my pc booted into motherboard screen like usual but froze (cant get into bios either). tried restarting several times and powering the psu off and on which didnt help.

(yesterday)
tried reseating ram sticks, swapping their places, seeing if ones faulty, cleaning contacts and slots. after a lot of dabbling in ram sticks, instead of booting into the mb and freezing, the boot will start looping. this as in the pc will power on and the cpu fans will start to spin, only for the pc to fully shut off and repeat the process every 4 seconds. the power button is not stuck.

(today)
instead of boot looping, the pc will power on like normal, along with the gpu kbm and mic leds lighting up, and itll run like usual. however neither of my monitors power and/or connect.
gpu fans still do not run or even start to run during bootup and whilst the pc is running. id assume that its got something to do with the gpu not receiving enough power from the psu, which also explains the occassional boot loop (yes it happens occassionally). luckily, i managed to run my 2nd monitor (really old and not even a proper monitor) through connecting it to my motherboards intergrated graphics. as of this, i'm making this post and also seeking help on pchelpforum (link at top).

here are my specs:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tD6GEpW3B1LfEsdTh5lLN5u
ASUS TUF Gaming 750W 80+ Bronze Non Modular Power Supply
NVIDIA RTX 3060 GPU

this pc is 8 years old and hasn't had much hardware maintenance. the only components i've changed is the GTX 1070 that came with the prebuilt to the RTX 3060. i also had a bad PSU (i'm not sure what model it was) so i changed to the ASUS one listed. on the other forum i've attached an MTB file containing all my installed programs.
i do not wish to short pins or any of that technical stuff, unless it ultimately comes down to it. i am no hardware professional. ive researched a hundred sites with "solutions" that have never worked for any of my problems with this thing. "check for damaged cables", "make sure everythings plugged in properly" give me a break. i am also not going to send my pc to a store and spend hundreds of $ to get my pc back in 4 weeks time saying "couldnt fix, sorry." (exagerating a little but i have a friend whos done this and got similar results)

last thing, as ive been typing this, even though my gpu is not in use, it is really hot.
(probably shouldnt have done this but i removed the gpu whilst the pc is running and there are no issues.
i dont want to damage my gpu from overheating when its not even in use.)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Core I7 7700
16gb ram
238GB INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7 (Unknown (SSD))
1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA ):
1863GB Seagate BUP Slim SL SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) ):
nvidia rtx 3060
ACER Predator motherboard (since that is what it is)

American Megatrends Inc.
R02-B0 15/12/2017

any peripherals? tried starting with no usb attached?

Last time I had PC looked at and they didn't find any problems, the place didn't charge me at all. Shame they are shutdown now, I would have used again.

many GPU don't run their fans unless they over 70c so that could be why they aren't running at all.

Could be the gpu if you can use the IGPU and the PC is working fine?

Jan 27, 2024
Core I7 7700
16gb ram
238GB INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7 (Unknown (SSD))
1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA ):
1863GB Seagate BUP Slim SL SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) ):

ACER Predator motherboard (since that is what it is)

American Megatrends Inc.
R02-B0 15/12/2017

any peripherals? tried starting with no usb attached?

Last time I had PC looked at and they didn't find any problems, the place didn't charge me at all. Shame they are shutdown now, I would have used again.

many GPU don't run their fans unless they over 70c so that could be why they aren't running at all. What GPU did you have as Speccy shows its running off the IGPU
yes ive tried starting with no usbs attached.
usually the gpu fans start spinning straight away when i boot it up so im not sure about that one.
like i said, im able to run my 2nd monitor through my intergrated graphics in my motherboard. when looking in device manager its called, "Intel(R) HD Graphics 630".
under "here are my specs:" i listed my gpu, the nvidia rtx 3060.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Unless you can test card in another PC, it looks to me like its cause.

It working in bios is less strain on it than running windows, seems it can't run the drivers. hence blank screens, no display.
How old is the Asus PSU? Its another reason for no picture.

Jan 27, 2024
Unless you can test card in another PC, it looks to me like its cause.

It working in bios is less strain on it than running windows, seems it can't run the drivers. hence blank screens, no display.
How old is the Asus PSU? Its another reason for no picture.
its maybe 2 years old.
i should also add that id have periods (2 or 3 months) where my pc would run perfectly fine with 0 issues whatsoever, then issues like this would arise out of absolutely nowhere

Colif

Win 11 Master
It shouldn't be PSU then

I would love to be wrong about GPU. It just looks like cause
  1. no fans running anytime
  2. No picture
  3. Monitors not even trying to turn on. If it were a power thing you would likely get a no picture error on monitors, but they would power on. They not even getting a signal to start with PC.
  4. PC works fine if you use IGPU

It just seems to add up.

I see what other people think.

Jan 27, 2024
It shouldn't be PSU then

I would love to be wrong about GPU. It just looks like cause
  1. no fans running anytime
  2. No picture
  3. Monitors not even trying to turn on. If it were a power thing you would likely get a no picture error on monitors, but they would power on. They not even getting a signal to start with PC.
  4. PC works fine if you use IGPU

It just seems to add up.
what do you suggest i do? i cant get a new one.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have asked for a second opinion, see if anyone else has any ideas.

Lack of funds or the fact 3060 hard to get now?

Your PC might just be getting old, 8 years is a good run. I made one of mine last about that but they don't last forever. It needed to be replaced as it was starting to do strange things. I had outgrown it and didn't realise.
You might want to consider saving for a newer one, the cheaper ones now still beat what you have, and you might avoid the 3 month pattern.

Jan 27, 2024
I have asked for a second opinion, see if anyone else has any ideas.

Lack of funds or the fact 3060 hard to get now?

Your PC might just be getting old, 8 years is a good run. I made one of mine last about that but they don't last forever. It needed to be replaced as it was starting to do strange things. I had outgrown it and didn't realise.
You might want to consider saving for a newer one, the cheaper ones now still beat what you have, and you might avoid the 3 month pattern.
lack of funds.
i see, i understand.
whats the 3 mouth pattern?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Were graphics card fans working before up until the point of removing graphics card while system was on? Who knows what could've happened to the graphics card or motherboard doing that. Maybe nothing happened if you're lucky, but who really knows really, that stuff is random.

Do you still have 1070 or did you sell it?

Maybe look closely at motherboard capacitors for signs of bulging.

Need to somehow try another graphics card, from a friend maybe, to try assess if it is motherboard or graphics card. There's not much else really left to try imo.

Reactions: Colif
Jan 27, 2024
Were graphics card fans working before up until the point of removing graphics card while system was on? Who knows what could've happened to the graphics card or motherboard doing that. Maybe nothing happened if you're lucky, but who really knows really, that stuff is random.

Do you still have 1070 or did you sell it?

Maybe look closely at motherboard capacitors for signs of bulging.

Need to somehow try another graphics card, from a friend maybe, to try assess if it is motherboard or graphics card. There's not much else really left to try imo.
ever since the issue came up yesterday, gpu fans have not spun once, and they usually do even on bootup. the gpu wasnt in use, at all, so i see no problem.
i have the 1070, ill plug it in and see if it works.
there are no bulging or leaking capacitors.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah hopefully can soon tell with the 1070. I mean igpu working fine might suggest something wrong with the pcie slot preventing card and system from working properly when used.

Not sure if fans are powered only by pcie slot or auxiliary power, maybe both. Pcie slot provides power too, 75w normally, sometimes less on some lower end boards, so yeah that's a possibility too, a damaged slot. Fingers crossed 1070 works.

Jan 27, 2024
Yeah hopefully can soon tell with the 1070. I mean igpu working fine might suggest something wrong with the pcie slot preventing card and system from working properly when used.

Not sure if fans are powered only by pcie slot or auxiliary power, maybe both. Pcie slot provides power too, 75w normally, sometimes less on some lower end boards, so yeah that's a possibility too, a damaged slot. Fingers crossed 1070 works.
so the 1070 still works.
before this, i couldnt power either monitor on the gpu, and only the bad one could be powered through igpu. now the bad monitor can be powered through the 1070, but the main monitor still cannot. im attempting system repairs at the moment.
edit: no issues seem to be found. also why would the pcie slot be the issue when the 1070 works on it whilst the 3060 doesnt?
also the fans are indeed spinning on the 1070

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024
It was merely a suggestive possibility. Since 1070 works looks like there's something wrong with the 3060.
got it. im not too smart with computers but perhaps the 3060 isnt receiving the necessary power from the psu to run? seeing that the (bad) 1070 shouldnt require as much power as the 3060.
theres a bit of dust underneath the fans, but i dont think that could cause a problem this big.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
20w difference. 1070 uses one eight pin, what's your 3060 use? One eight pin as well? I know you said you don't like being asked to check cable connections etc but do carefully check power cables are properly connected to card, they can be stubborn/tight fit, possibly not going in all the way.

Jan 27, 2024
20w difference. 1070 uses one eight pin, what's your 3060 use? One eight pin as well? I know you said you don't like being asked to check cable connections etc but do carefully check power cables are properly connected to card, they can be stubborn/tight fit, possibly not going in all the way.
both 8 pins. cables are always fitted all the way in and properly

Jan 27, 2024
Play around with it some more. Looks like a new card be most likely be the outcome.
ill continue whatever hellish solutions people provide me with tomorrow 😂
i didnt realize that a pcs life span doesnt go above 10 years, and mines 8 and has been running like a champ (excluding the bi-monthly pain inducing unfixable yet fixable by turning it on the next day problems).
thanks for your help today, ill continue tomorrow.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1070 works,
IGPU works.

tried my main monitor again, didnt work, now my 2nd monitor wont even work. (main is disconnected)
is that on the 1070? Were they ever attached to it before?

I would start to look at the display cables if two different GPU can't get a picture through them. But then 2 cables dying at once is unlikely... I don't think a GPU can damage monitors? Something strange going on.

Had any power surges recently? Thunderstorms in area? Lightning strikes?
But then rest of PC is fine... scratches head.