minimum and maximum processor state

Status
Not open for further replies.

A RANDOM

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2015
when i was looking around in windows 10 settings i happened upon the settings called minimun processor state and maximum processor state. the min was set to 100% and the max was set to 100% also. when i put the min to 5% i saw my processor speed drop from a constant 3.17ghz to a fluctuation between 1.00ghz and 2.50ghz. is this just meant for power saving purposes and does it affect gaming performance? would it better to keep it at 100% or 5%

Solution
By default it is set at 5% min on balanced power plan. This is to take advantage of cpu speedstep/cool and quiet for intel and amd respectively. Only changing power plans to high performance would it set 100% on min. High performance power plan does not increase your pc performance and just wastes power and creates more heat. You can always go to advanced on balanced and change the setting you want to. None of this affects gaming performance.

Just an extra tidbit, these power plan options were added in vista and haven't changed at all since then. We've also had these cpu technologies since way before in xp days, windows just couldn't affect it.
By default it is set at 5% min on balanced power plan. This is to take advantage of cpu speedstep/cool and quiet for intel and amd respectively. Only changing power plans to high performance would it set 100% on min. High performance power plan does not increase your pc performance and just wastes power and creates more heat. You can always go to advanced on balanced and change the setting you want to. None of this affects gaming performance.

Just an extra tidbit, these power plan options were added in vista and haven't changed at all since then. We've also had these cpu technologies since way before in xp days, windows just couldn't affect it.

Solution

Athiy_18

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
I actually found that when increasing the min from 5% to 99% and Changing the Max down to 99% i got a 10-15 fps increase in GTA and I was able to run it at 60fps on very high setting whereas previously i would only get 20-30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.