Minimum CPU for GTX 760 SLI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marckh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
So I'm gonna be getting 2x GTX 760 in SLI, and I would have to upgrade my CPU in order for it not bottleneck the GPU's. I am wondering what is the cheapest CPU, that will not bottleneck 2x 760 SLI's. You may also include a 'best choice' (a CPU that will definitely get me 100% performance from both cards) if you want.

(also I know having 2 GPU's does not necessarily double the performance)

(also I am not 100% how much PSU wattage I should have for both cards, I have read a minimum of 700W, if you know anything about how many watts the cards should have, please feel free to inform me)

shehtazruslan

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

if you have the budget buy the i7 4770k if not then a i5 4670k if not get some 8 core amd or maybe a i5 4570 (not so sure about the last choice)

to carry your analogy further, it's like you asking I want to measure the size of my house using a 2" ruler, and and so I need to know what 2+2 is, when actually the premise of your question is wrong, sure you'll get the answer, but there might be a better way, using a tape measure and doing it in one go for instance.

Powerbolt

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Do yourself a favor and take paitjsu sadff's advice. Speaking from experience, when I built my first desktop (Subsequently my first one), I went with 2x GTX 660's in SLI instead of one big card like the GTX 780. I probably shelled out the same amount for one setup as I did for the other later down the line because I exhausted all my upgrade options from the get go.

You'll save yourself the biggest head -- and wallet -- ache by going with the single best card you can afford. Believe us on that.