MIPS Acquired by Imagination Technologies, Most Patents Go To Industry Organizat

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Oh... My... God...

The technology world just gets worse and worse. MIPS was one of the best processor architectures ever made, and now its gone?

I should have been a doctor :-(

[citation][nom]justposting72[/nom]Oh... My... God...The technology world just gets worse and worse. MIPS was one of the best processor architectures ever made, and now its gone?I should have been a doctor :-([/citation]

Gone? Possibly quite the opposite. With many companies having access to the patents and such, there may be a greater chance of something being made out of this technology in a decent time frame.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Considering the fact that China was looking at MIPS for their national standard CPU architecture, I wonder what would be their response now that they're dealing with a different company.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Gone? Possibly quite the opposite. With many companies having access to the patents and such, there may be a greater chance of something being made out of this technology in a decent time frame.[/citation]

Agreed.

MIPS is still used in many chips, the problem is that you just never hear about it, and most are embedded so the typical person never even thinks / hears about it.

As for the best processor arch, I've got to go with Alpha. RIP DEC ... Compaq / HP did you wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.