MIPS-Based CPU, Debian 8 Underpin Russian T-Platforms' All-In-One PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta love Russia. Doesn't want to rely as much on American technologies so they license a CPU design from a British company that license technology from an American company then use an American designed OS.

lorfa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2012
"optional storage capabilities that range from 8 to 64 GB of nonvolatile memory"

Wait, what? 64 GB hd space max? wtf?

InvalidError

Titan

Since the thing has a few USB2 ports, you can use external storage. With only a dual core 1GHz CPU, that AiO is not going to see much intensive use, so 64GB max built-in should not be much of an issue for most people and that spares the company the trouble of including provisions for an additional internal SSD/HDD.

Gotta love Russia. Doesn't want to rely as much on American technologies so they license a CPU design from a British company that license technology from an American company then use an American designed OS using another American designed kernal.

When did the Linux Kernel become an American OS ?

The point of course is to eliminate the possibility of HARDWARE being a security threat . The US government is very concerned about the exact same thing .
Typically the Russians have taken the easiest , and arguably smartest , path to control computer systems end to end . Most people in offices will never need more computing power than this , and they will be far more secure than they could ever be while trying to plug NSA back doors in hardware and software on a windows X86 machine

Can't take a bit of a joke can you?

Debian is the American OS, as it was created by an American.

That said, you are correct. Linux is technically Finnish but is considered to be a Unix clone with is American.

Still, just a bit of a joke. You know, "In Soviet Russia, joke makes you..."?

On a side note, I work in IT and we have offices and you would be surprised how much power they would actually need. This is not enough for anything but people who do the most basic of tasks. Even a big enough Excel spreadsheet could bring this to its knees.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Except that Linux is not a Unix clone and Debian is developed by people all over the world.

Linux is considered Unix like, another term for a clone, in that it utilizes a lot of the same ideas and implementations.

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~echi/technolog/technolog.html

It is not a Unix implementation but a clone. It is much like Lindows, which was a Linux clone of Windows that got sued into oblivion because it literally looked just like Windows XP.

Debian may now be developed by people all over the world but was originally started by and American named Ian Murdock therefore Debian is an American created OS.

Perhaps you should research the origins of Linux and the open source communities contributions.

Linux is not Unix.
Linux is not American

And since most office computers are used for little more than email, web browsing and feeding the printer a device like this makes perfect sense .
And since my $200 Windows phone can open reasonable spread sheets I doubt there will be any difficulty designing a RISC chip with sufficient power to get the job done

And perhaps you should as well and should also re-read. I said you were correct since Linux was designed by a Finnish person while in Helsinki.

Or just ignore it. Your choice.

And you could read the link I posted or this one:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201983/is_linux_just_another_unix_flavor.html

Linux utilizes a lot of the same ideas as Unix but was built fro scratch and designed to be "free" instead of paid for.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Based on the "utilizes a lot of the same ideas as Unix"....even Windows is a Unix clone. Linux was modeled off of an OS called Minix though. That is where Linus got his inspiration, not Unix.

That PCWorld article is a joke. The author did almost no research what so ever. If he had, he'd have known the actual origins of Linux.

ReservoirPenguin

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
Nope. Minix (was) is a teaching OS developed by Linus's arch-rival, dutch professor Tanenbaum with whom he got into many heated arguments. Minix represents everything that is anti-Linux starting with monolithic (Linux) vs micro-kernel (Minix) design. Linus stated his Unix clone project because he wanted a Unix-like OS for his 386 PC but at that time source to Minix could only be obtained with a restrictive license (modifications to Minix source had to be distributed as separate patches) That was due to the above mentioned fact that Minix was an experimental toy OS accompanying Tanenbaum's own "Dinosaur" OS textbook so it had to remain pure according to Tanenbaum's vision.

Back on-topic, it's true that original Linux kernel and OS were designed by a finish student, yet since then Linus has become a US citizen and current Linux doesn't not resemble the version from 20 years ago. While it's technically an Open Source project the majority of kernel and system programming is done by paid engineers employed by US based companies such as RedHat.

The Baikal workstation is supposed to be used as a thin-terminal by Russian government organizations so low performance and storage specs are acceptable.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

True

MIPS Technologies was sold to Imagination Technologies on February 8, 2013. The american company dosn't exist anymore.

Debian is composed entirely of free software, so I doubt they will ever have any issues with that.
Not to mention that Ian Murdock (rest in peace), the founder of the Debian project, was born in Konstanz, West Germany :p

Disclaimer:I know he was american, and lived only a couple years in Germany, just jocking.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ha ha, the joke's on them. In spite of its venerable heritage, all the recent benchmarks of anything MIPS I've seen are noncompetitive. Way to pick an ISA, Russia.

They shouldda gone with SPARC, which I think is royalty-free. Or, better yet, ARM. Even though it'd look like they were just copying China (which is probably the main reason they didn't).

How is Windows? Linux and Unix share the same directory sub structure, Windows does not share anything in terms of the file structure nor the file system at all. It is in no way a Unix clone. Hell even the EXT file system utilized ideas from the Unix File System. FAT does not nor does NTFS.

Linux was considered a Unix clone, meaning when it was first designed it was. It has evolved now vastly but it used a lot of ideas from Unix to actually develop.

Windows did not. In fact Windows for the longest time was just a GUI overlay for DOS so the original structure was DOS which was based heavily on the design and structure of CP/M that was used for Intel 8080 CPUs. So Windows in no way could be considered a Unix clone especially since the first GUI was designed by Xerox.

http://www.linfo.org/unix-like.html

Is that a better link?

If not post your own to combat it instead of stating what you think. I am not saying Linux is a full on clone I am saying it is similar in many ways. And again, Windows is not similar to Unix in any way.

My understanding is Linux was a clean room type version of Unix and I have been using Linux since Mandrake 6 in 1999 when it was all CLI to install and was a real pain to get to work with hardware unless you had the right hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.