Question Mirrored displays locks certain games to 60fps, 20 fps if playing video on 3rd monitor!?

Dec 12, 2020
Issue: 60fps ‘lock’ when playing select games with VSYNC turned off and in full-screen mode. When ANY 3D media player is active on ANY monitor (including those on a separate GPU) the games lock to 20fps. Games that have this issue: Rimworld, Phasmophobia, No Man’s Sky. Other games, like Warframe and Destiny 2, do NOT have this issue and run at higher/variable unlocked fps.

Setup: 6x 1080p 60hz displays. They are in a ‘3 over 3’ configuration. Bottom row are all plugged into 1080ti running stock clock speeds. Additional Magewell Pro HDMI capture card is also fed a mirrored feed from center monitors (IE 4th monitor) to a separate encoding server. Top row is plugged into a GTX 970.

I have already done a clean diver install using standard options AND a second time using the Wagnard Tools Display Driver Uninstaller in safe-mode.

Issue persists when mirroring any two monitors to each-other on the 1080ti or any two on the 970. Yes, my game on the 1080ti locks to 20fps when playing a video on my 970’s mirrored monitors…

I completely pulled the 970 out of the case and unplugged everything but two monitors on the 1080ti; they both lock to 60fps. Plugging in a third monitor to my 1080ti and putting up youtube locked the game at 20 as expected.

I have disabled scaling, enabled display scaling, enabled GPU scaling, overridden scaling, and done every combination in-between without any changes.

Windowed mode produces 100+ fps. Not being tabbed into the game also produces 100+ fps

Last edited:

FelixLive44

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi.

To be frank, this is pretty weird.

I take it this setup worked fine before, correct?

If so, try to see if the 1080ti is doing something it's not supposed to. Monitor the temps and clocks, but to be honest I doubt there'll be an issue, just to be sure.

If I understand, this is also not occuring when there's only 2 monitors, but it still locks in a way it's not supposed to at 60FPS, correct?

If so, tbh, this sounds like a limit on the 1080. I'll admit I dont know much about complex setups like yours but I'll still try to help.

If absolutely no troubleshooting steps work, I'd suggest trying to revert the drivers, for the 1080ti only to start with. I doubt seriously this is the case, but it might be that NVIDIA dont test drivers as much on systems running older GPUs, let alone 2 different older GPUs. If this is the case, getting in contact with their support might be worthwhile.

If reverting drivers did not help, I have no clue, sorry...

Dec 12, 2020
Hi.

To be frank, this is pretty weird.

I take it this setup worked fine before, correct?

If so, try to see if the 1080ti is doing something it's not supposed to. Monitor the temps and clocks, but to be honest I doubt there'll be an issue, just to be sure.

If I understand, this is also not occuring when there's only 2 monitors, but it still locks in a way it's not supposed to at 60FPS, correct?

If so, tbh, this sounds like a limit on the 1080. I'll admit I dont know much about complex setups like yours but I'll still try to help.

If absolutely no troubleshooting steps work, I'd suggest trying to revert the drivers, for the 1080ti only to start with. I doubt seriously this is the case, but it might be that NVIDIA dont test drivers as much on systems running older GPUs, let alone 2 different older GPUs. If this is the case, getting in contact with their support might be worthwhile.

If reverting drivers did not help, I have no clue, sorry...

I cannot positively confirm I had any issues before as I only recently started to try a few of those game that had issues.

Temps, clock speeds, voltage, everything seems fine using perfmon

Correct; it seems that the GPU locks to the lowest screen refresh rate when monitors are mirrored. It only goes to 20 after playing any video media on a 3rd, non-mirrored monitor.

Unfortunately, I cannot revert back in drivers more than a few months due to video production needs =(

TRENDING THREADS