Mirror's Edge to Tap PhysX Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I don't buy until EA takes off SecuROM.[/citation]

why? because its harder to pirate? Seriously though, i buy games all the time and this DRM, securerom, bullcrap doesn't bother me at all, don't know why it would for others, unless they pirate all the damn time.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
errr what?

sacre, people don't pirate because of securom. i can say that people don't buy the games because of securom. than there are those who pirate regardless.

and pirating doesn't become harder with securom. its the same sh1t, torrent, install, play, of course without that shit being installed in your kernel

[citation]why? because its harder to pirate? Seriously though, i buy games all the time and this DRM, securerom, bullcrap doesn't bother me at all, don't know why it would for others, unless they pirate all the damn time.[/citation]

No, because it's wrong. EA is punishing those who buy the game. The pirates will keep pirating. It's annoying, and I don't want rootkits on my system.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]why? because its harder to pirate? Seriously though, i buy games all the time and this DRM, securerom, bullcrap doesn't bother me at all, don't know why it would for others, unless they pirate all the damn time.[/citation]

It took 15 minutes to crack the Crysis SecuROM. Ever since it's been introduced it has hurt their sales, driven piracy through the roof, messed up user's computers due to a lack of standardization between the rootkits and overall cost EA money on two fronts while hurting it's customers (loss of sales, putting money in Sony's pocket. Even the demos and steam versions of their games install it on your system. Please, don't say anything else defending this utter idiocy. Not buying EA PC games is an extremely non-nonsensical stance to take right now.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I'm all for the advances PhysX is bringing, as I was all for the advances it tried to bring as an add-in card. As we can probably guess in-game physics won't work until it fits inside a CPU core or two or 8.

Thanks to PhysX I now have another layer of troubleshooting to wade through if something goes wrong game wise or video card driver wise, without much to show for it.

GRAW2 does use PhysX stably enough, and it doesn't hit FPS much if at all and there is a boatload of debris and junk floating around where there wasn't before and it isn't too hard to imagine how that could be a very desirable terrain effect..someday. Not today, not tomorrow, but soon enough.

And by the way, secuROM = no sale from me and my circle. You can protect your right to get paid, but don't piss me off in the process.

Actually, PhysX slows things down, as there is now more work to do. If you want the best FPS, you have to disable it.

Still, its nice seeing people finally put PhysX's abilities to decent use. To bad its an EA game no one will buy.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Did you actually check the box to enable PhysX on GPU, or are you getting better frame rates actually because you updated your driver?

G

Man... I don't want physx... if it changes gameplay thats just bullsh*t... theres no way i'm getting this game if physx really changes how the games played... that would be ridiculous... anyway what happened to the drivers from AMD that claimed they ad physx working on their cards?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Case in point: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion sold tens of millions of copies. no copy protection WHATSOEVER. it might not have been the greatest game (but hell it was good!), but it sold more than arugably better games WITH SecuROM.

the gaming industry is crying because of piracy. stuff off the copy protection and it may improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.