MISLEADING INFORMATION

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
just been readign fro manother forum..

"See you really aren't missing out on much not having a 400FSB I'd say. The only thing you can't have is a 3200+. The 333fsb chips go all the way up to 3000+ and if you get faster DDR400 memory you can just run them at DDR333 and turn up the timing on them and they run just as fast as if you were running DDR400. Or run them at DDR333 speeds at slower timeings and it will run cooler and probably get longer life out of the part."

cud this be why? i put a 3200+ in it

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Make sure the hard drive cable is plugged in the correct way round both at the hard drive and motherboard end (red cable goes to pin1). Next make sure that the CMOS reset jumper is in the do not reset position (normally pin1-2 NOT 2-3). What power supply are you using? I know it sounds stupid but have you connected the power supply to the motherboard?
Does the CPU fan start? Connect only the power switch to the motherboard for now (dont bother with reset, HDD light etc. etc.).

pat

Expert
I have yet to see a floppy with the power connector to the right, as a CD ROM. Every single one I've seen, either panasonic or IBM has the power connector to the left. I didnt have to work with other brands/model in the last 5 years...So it is easy to assume that newer floppy drive are of this configuration. but anyway..it was backward.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
At the top of the post it says who I was talking to.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ALL my Panasonic drives have the power cable on the right, no matter how new they are. I've had around 100 or more. Would you like me to send you a picture? And my Samsung drives came out of newer machines too.

Yes, floppy drive interfaces are upside-down compared to IDE, even the key is.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
No need for the pictures...I believe you. You've seen more floppy than I, so I couldn't argue. But the one I saw ....

I guess that they sometime put thing upside down as a way to check if we are awake when we built machine...not just tired zombies on cafeine doing thing like a robot ...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Or perhaps that "rule of thumb" existed before any of these floppy drives, and they simply decided to break it.

When I was 12 I was building a Pinto drag car, I wanted fat tall squishy tires on the back and short squatty low profiles on the front. So I called Sears about some street rod tires (yes, they used to carry those) and wanted N60's for the back and G50's for the front. The guy said "Why do you want wider tires on front?" Try arguing with an "expert" when you're only 12! (the rule of thumb was that a lower aspect ratio tire was going to be wider than a higher aspect ratio tire, but it's always been wrong when comparing different sizes).

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
According to biostar the motherboard does support 400Mhz FSB up to the XP3000+ but it does not list the XP3200+ as being supported. The board also only supports 333Mhz RAM (your RAM should automatically default to those speeds anyway). Does anyone you know have a spare athlon chip you can borrow? Just to see if the systems works with a slower chip.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
There is a BIOS update here that says it adds support for 400Mhz FSB's <A HREF="http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php3?model=iDEQ 200N" target="_new">http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php3?model=iDEQ 200N</A> I find this a little odd since they say the board already supports 400Mhz FSB's.

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
iv put a 1800+ in for now, obviously i want the 3200 in but what cna i do, will the bios update really work ?

endyen

Splendid
I may be wrong, but I think the reason the 3200 was not recommended for IG boards, was something to do with ram speed for the graphics. you may be okay, if you set the ram to 166/333 speeds, and the fsb to 200/400.

aorton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004
I have an Ideq 200N, albeit with a XP3000+, which worked fine at first, but failed after a couple of months.

I had the same symptoms - blank screen and no signs of POST, but realised that the 200N has no built-in speaker - when I connected one is was beeping away merrily. Also, it seems that the original BIOS believed it was overheating, so refused to startup.

After many resets, I got it to boot and then could run the BIOS update, after which it was fine - just make sure you have the BIOS update ready to run on a floppy!

I have recently purchased a Biostar IDEQ 200N Barebones System (FS-002-BS) from www.overclockers.co.uk and I think I have been misled with regards to its capabilities.

The Biostar website clearly states this board can support 400FSB CPU’s up to +3000 AMD, and RAM up to DDR333, where as the Overclockers website states it can take 400FSB +3200 AMD, and DDr400 RAM support. Now as I have bought all my components with the mini pc off the overclockers website, I also purchased an AMD 3200+ and 512MB of DDR400 ram. According to the Biostar site this wont work, but to Overclockers it will, does anyone have any idea as to which it may be? As the pc wont boot at all, I get no monitor feedback, but FDD / CD ROM / LED lights are on..?

Personally I wouldn't even consider buying a barebones system period, they usually are trying to unload older technology at your expense, of which I'm sure you're discovering the hard way.

Seeing that you've already received quite a bit of help here you may already have your problem solved however trying to get solid info on your M/B from Biostar is a little sketchy to say the least, it would help to have the exact M/B model and # off the M/B itself, and if it happens to be M7NBA Ver 1.2, thats not going to help much either, you're restricted to the BIOS update search for Barebones units under iDEQ 200N, under those circumstances there is an available BIOS flash that will set the M/B to run the 3200+@400FSB, however you have to get the thing to boot first period.

My first suggestion is to make sure you only have mounting studs at the M/Bs mounting holes period, if theres a stud in the case that doesn't match up with the mounting holes on the M/B remove it from the case.

Second make sure all the Internal cables are properly connected and firmly seated, IDE and Floppy cables Red Wire Stripe to Pin 1 always, no exceptions, P/S connected to the M/B, HDDs, if you have SATA HDD make sure its connected to the proper M/B header for single operation, and Optical and Floppy drives all connected, all External cables too including Monitor to AGP port, and Power to Wall outlets. [No offence intended sometimes frustration can lead to the simplest mistakes]

Third most systems are pretested and sometimes they forget to clear the CMOS before they ship the unit, and unless you use the identical testing hardware you'll have problems until you manually clear the CMOS, clearing the CMOS and resetting it, is the first thing I do now before I even begin the build process, it will save you a lot of time and trouble if its your first step Period!

If you haven't already solved your problems check these suggestions out and verify they are done, also remove and reseat your RAM modules, make sure the CPU cooling fan is plugged into the right header and running, on some M/Bs FOC [Fan Off Control] will automatically shut down the computer and not let you restart until you properly plug it in and clear the CMOS to reset the feature.

Hope this helps you some!

I'm 4ryan6 and I approved this message!