[SOLVED] Missing dependencies in Ubuntu ?

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
Hi Guys

I’ve installed Ubuntu on a Pi4, updated and upgraded it. Have then tried installing google chrome and anydesk and I get met with the following error for both softwares:

Unable to install anydesk:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:

this error comes for both Google chrome and AnyDesk. I’ve not tried installing anything else. Screenshot URL to the error below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zAQNx0UrPqM_L6Ed4IUMspiOSWpHVQR_/view?usp=drivesdk

Solution
Instead of Ubuntu, have you tried the default Raspberry Pi operating system? I know for sure you can install chromium on it out of the box. I'm fairly certain anydesk will work as well.

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
AnyDesk looks for amd64 (Intel-compatible CPU) package, and you are trying on RPi. Most probably, AnyDesk do not have ARM package, so you can't use it. "apt purge anydesk", then proceed with chrome.

i’m installing the pi version of anydesk… tried linux ubuntu version and pi version but neither worked. I’ve tried installing chrome, chromium and today a few other softwares and I get the exact same error each time about unmet dependencies :(

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Instead of Ubuntu, have you tried the default Raspberry Pi operating system? I know for sure you can install chromium on it out of the box. I'm fairly certain anydesk will work as well.

Reactions: ajaz1986
Solution

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018

I haven't because some of the software I want to use is specifically for Ubuntu.
In the end, I reloaded Ubuntu and sticking with Firefox... but main thing is, I've got my software working. I used the dpkg command to install the software, still didn't figure out the issue with gui software installer.

But it's doing what I need with my software now so I can't complain :)

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I haven't because some of the software I want to use is specifically for Ubuntu.
In the end, I reloaded Ubuntu and sticking with Firefox... but main thing is, I've got my software working. I used the dpkg command to install the software, still didn't figure out the issue with gui software installer.

But it's doing what I need with my software now so I can't complain :)

I'm curious as to what software you are talking about that is supposed to be Ubuntu specific. Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian) and Ubuntu are both based on Debian.

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
I'm curious as to what software you are talking about that is supposed to be Ubuntu specific. Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian) and Ubuntu are both based on Debian.

It's a Chia Blockchain Node. I see they have installers for Windows, Mac and Linux Ubuntu. I'm not very experienced with Linux and zero previous experience with Raspberry Pi so I didn't want to assume I could use Raspbian or any other OS.

I re-flashed the MicroSD with Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS and it's all working well now, very happy with it :)

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
It's a Chia Blockchain Node. I see they have installers for Windows, Mac and Linux Ubuntu. I'm not very experienced with Linux and zero previous experience with Raspberry Pi so I didn't want to assume I could use Raspbian or any other OS.

I re-flashed the MicroSD with Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS and it's all working well now, very happy with it :)

Nice, glad it's working.

You can think of the Pi as similar to any other computer, it just comes in a nice package with CPU, GPU, RAM and everything else that makes a computer all on one chip. Its CPU is ARM based, where most other computers are either Intel x86 or AMD64 based.

At the heart of Ubuntu is Debian. Raspberry Pi OS is also Debian based. For the most part, if it works in Ubuntu, it will work in Raspberry Pi OS and Debian.

Not suggesting you change anything now that you have it working. Just sharing some information :)