[SOLVED] Missing files after transfer HDD to SDD. Disk full but no files.

Jun 10, 2020
Hi, I just transfer my files to SSD from HDD. The files is about 230 GB. When I reboot the SSD, it's gone. But the size shown around 200++GB. So SSD was "C" on computer #1 and I connected it to computer #2 as drive "D". Coped files from HDD drive "E" to SSD drive "D". After copied files unpluged SSD and pluged back to computer #1 and there was no files was shown but SSD was almost full.

What I want :
To retrieve the missing 200GB++ files

What i have done,
  • I already check the hidden and hidden system files..
  • Try Recuva software, only few videos and pictures there but around 232 gb can be recovered, its all on "C:\? "

Solution
So I managed to save (thanks to DumisaniKunene) and gonna paste here his solution and share link below,

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r-to-its/bd987b89-c9a7-458a-b6a1-c7bcf18512f5

"In my case I had a Movies folder woth 200GB contents. It now disappeared and showed as a white file with 0KB. Windows Check Disk found errors but could not fix them... it failed each time. So i open CMD with administrator rights. Then ran "CHKDSK /f /r H:" This took hours but dumped all my missing files into the directory folder.000.

I ran "attrib -s -a -r -h folder.000 /d /s * " which mader the folder's contents to appear as unhidden and removed system file attribute on it. From...
I don't seen any .chk files there.
It's just directory name, that has been lost. Files should be fine.

So you connected/disconnected ssd on a running pc. Right?
That's sure way to get file system corruption.

1st - make sure fast boot is disabled in BIOS. Then ..
shutdown pc,​
connnect ssd,​
startup pc​
copy files,​
shutdown pc,​
remove ssd.​

Jun 10, 2020
Nope. I connected through SATA and copied. I shuted down and unpluged after that. But on SSD, it was like 9gb free space left if its releated. I tried disabled fast boot but wont work. By the way after I copied my files to SSD I formated old HDD so have to save this found folder 😕

I don't seen any .chk files there.
It's just directory name, that has been lost. Files should be fine.

So you connected/disconnected ssd on a running pc. Right?
That's sure way to get file system corruption.

1st - make sure fast boot is disabled in BIOS. Then ..
shutdown pc,​
connnect ssd,​
startup pc​
copy files,​
shutdown pc,​
remove ssd.​

Jun 10, 2020
So I managed to save (thanks to DumisaniKunene) and gonna paste here his solution and share link below,

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r-to-its/bd987b89-c9a7-458a-b6a1-c7bcf18512f5

"In my case I had a Movies folder woth 200GB contents. It now disappeared and showed as a white file with 0KB. Windows Check Disk found errors but could not fix them... it failed each time. So i open CMD with administrator rights. Then ran "CHKDSK /f /r H:" This took hours but dumped all my missing files into the directory folder.000.

I ran "attrib -s -a -r -h folder.000 /d /s * " which mader the folder's contents to appear as unhidden and removed system file attribute on it. From there I restarted the PC to Safe Mode.
Under safe more, i right clicked the folder.000 and chose Properties... Security tab... Advanced. Then changed this folder's OWNER to Users and added full control permissions to it (Dont forget to click Inherit for subfolders). So that you apply the full control properties to all subfolders and files under this folder.

After that you can accesss and cut the files to another folder."

Worked for me and saved thank god saved myfiles. now Im gonna buy an external and get rid of this problem.

Solution