Question Missing free space in NVMe SSD Partition ?

vollachr

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
linktr.ee
Hi,

A while ago a replaced 2 old 2TB HDDs with a 4TB Sata SSD & a 1TB NVME SSD, the NVME one was partitioned into 2 partitions, the first one around 340-350GB is used for my system drive (C Drive).

Today I got a notification I'm running low on space so I started checking it out, turned out that out of the 340-350GB partition, there's around 130GB (was a 190GB until I disabled hibernate) used in files and folders over the entire partition, however there is only around 80GB free space (was around 15-16GB before hibernate was disabled).

Overall, I'm missing around 120-130GB free space on my C drive and I can't find the reason, running "Chkdsk c: /f" didn't help, no problems are found, the 2nd partition on the same drive is fine, no such problems with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attaching relevant images.

Thank you

321556461_1378998589305212_738750194818540575_n.jpg

As you can see, 341GB drive, 79.5 Free space, content of drive is 129GB approximately, meaning free space should be over 200GB.

vollachr

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
linktr.ee
do you have any xbox game installed? on that drive?

No, I don't even have a xbox console or game pass subscription, besides, what does that have to do with the issue at hand?! I can account for every bit of space actually used, it sums up to around 129GB, the partition is around 341GB, that leaves over 200GB free space, but instead I got around 80GB free.

An Xbox game, even if existed on the partition would be among the 129GB used that are accounted for.

My original assumption was an NTFS file system error but as I said, chkdsk command did not find any errors.

Furthermore, I get the same result when starting with external operating system through a thumb drive.

Was this drive cloned from a smaller drive, and was the original C: partition extended? Is it possible that your partition is larger than the NTFS volume inside that partition???

Could you be experiencing a Windows Storage Spaces issue???

Recycle Bin???

vollachr

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
linktr.ee
Was this drive cloned from a smaller drive, and was the original C: partition extended? Is it possible that your partition is larger than the NTFS volume inside that partition???

Could you be experiencing a Windows Storage Spaces issue???

Recycle Bin???

No, wasn't cloned, fresh install, and it was perfectly fine at first, and no, recycle bin is empty.

As for "windows storage space issue", not sure what you refer to, as I said same problem when starting external system from thumb drive, that is also windows though, I used a windows 11 PE, so not sure, I searched all over for a solution, nothing worked so far, I'm going to try a deeper chkdsk test, chkdsk /r, I've seen one report in which it helped, who knows.

Hi,

A while ago a replaced 2 old 2TB HDDs with a 4TB Sata SSD & a 1TB NVME SSD, the NVME one was partitioned into 2 partitions, the first one around 340-350GB is used for my system drive (C Drive).

Today I got a notification I'm running low on space so I started checking it out, turned out that out of the 340-350GB partition, there's around 130GB (was a 190GB until I disabled hibernate) used in files and folders over the entire partition, however there is only around 80GB free space (was around 15-16GB before hibernate was disabled).

Overall, I'm missing around 120-130GB free space on my C drive and I can't find the reason, running "Chkdsk c: /f" didn't help, no problems are found, the 2nd partition on the same drive is fine, no such problems with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attaching relevant images.

Thank you

321556461_1378998589305212_738750194818540575_n.jpg

As you can see, 341GB drive, 79.5 Free space, content of drive is 129GB approximately, meaning free space should be over 200GB.
Just a test.

Disable the page file and system recovery.
Reboot and see if anything changes.

vollachr

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
linktr.ee
Just a test.

Disable the page file and system recovery.
Reboot and see if anything changes.

Page file only takes about 200MB, and I already cleaned all but the last restore point, beside, system restore is set to take no more than 50GB and the entire system volume information folder is around 8GB, TreeSize even allows me to look inside of it, it is already taken into account among the 129GB approximately that are actually used. Still have at least 100GB difference between what's actually used and what shown as free.

EDIT: Okay, my mistake, it was the swapfile that was 200MB or lower, the pagefile is about 9.5GB, still, it is all accounted for, there's still currently about 130GB difference between what windows shows as used space and what the actual files on the drive really takes.

Last edited:

vollachr

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
linktr.ee
I'm going to try a deeper chkdsk test, chkdsk /r, I've seen one report in which it helped, who knows.

Didn't help, not sure what I was expecting, at this point, unless someone have another idea, I only see 2 paths forward.

1. Backup the drive, re-format it or delete partition, restore files from backup to re-formated drive
  2. Ignore the problem and just extend the partition using the 2nd partition on the drive which is currently 99% unused.
Open for other ideas, or input on these options.