missing internet

im a virgin wire less and network user so im sure this is just me being thick
but HELP. i have my desktop with broadband connection and have added a laptop
with wireless network connection .all works ok ie can see and swap files on
both but im unable to access internet on the lap top .i have shared my dial
up on the desktop and can see the connection on the lap top but when i click
IE6 i cant get it to use this connection . if this is a case of putting an ip
address or something in a box can you please tell me where i get it from as
well as where to put it ,as i say networking isnt my strong point so please
go through s l o w l y so i get it
thanks in advance

You stated you have a broadband connection. Why are you sharing dial up you
do not have a dial up connection. On your main PC,go to contol panel/wireless
setup and transfer wizard and follow the prompts.

"pyewacket" wrote:

> im a virgin wire less and network user so im sure this is just me being thick
> but HELP. i have my desktop with broadband connection and have added a laptop
> with wireless network connection .all works ok ie can see and swap files on
> both but im unable to access internet on the lap top .i have shared my dial
> up on the desktop and can see the connection on the lap top but when i click
> IE6 i cant get it to use this connection . if this is a case of putting an ip
> address or something in a box can you please tell me where i get it from as
> well as where to put it ,as i say networking isnt my strong point so please
> go through s l o w l y so i get it
> thanks in advance

sorry ment broadband connection. what i need to find out is how do i get IE6
on the laptop to use the broadband through my desktop pc .the connection is
there as i can see the two tv's in the tool bar on the laptop but if i launch
IE6 i cant view the net .have looked in "tools ,internet options
,connections" but i cant configure it through my wireless link

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:58:05 -0700, pyewacket wrote:

> im a virgin wire less and network user so im sure this is just me being thick
> but HELP. i have my desktop with broadband connection and have added a laptop
> with wireless network connection .all works ok ie can see and swap files on
> both but im unable to access internet on the lap top .i have shared my dial
> up on the desktop and can see the connection on the lap top but when i click
> IE6 i cant get it to use this connection . if this is a case of putting an ip
> address or something in a box can you please tell me where i get it from as
> well as where to put it ,as i say networking isnt my strong point so please
> go through s l o w l y so i get it
> thanks in advance

By "sharing my dialup", just what do you mean? ICS? Let's back up just a
bit, and find out what you do have.

How does the desktop make the Internet connection; USB modem? Ethernet
modem? Do you have a router? Or are you just running a wireless network
adapter in the desktop?

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

i have a usb adsl modem on my desktop and a Belkin wireless network adapter
..the laptop has built in wireless network . i have ran through the ICS setup
on both and as i say i have a network connection and can share files also i
can see my broadband connection on the laptop but cant use it

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Using this USB setup the ADSL modem will only supply one ip address to the
computer that it's connected to, thus you would have to use ICS(internet
connection sharing) to "share" this address.

Many of these ADSL devices also have an RJ45(ethernet) jack-looks like a
phone jack but wider and with more pins.

You don't mention anything about your wireless setup that seems to work
fine, so I will assume that you have some type of wireless router.
If that IS the case AND your ADSL modem HAS an ethernet port, then you could
plug a cable from the modem to the WAN port on the router, then ethernet
cable from any port on router to desktop. Laptop will still be wireless.

Post back with specific details such as:
Wireless connection: do you have wireless cards in each computer? or do you
have a wireless router? How do you connect the two using wireless?
ADSL modem: is yours USB only or does it have an ethernet port?
TW

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:27:03 -0700, pyewacket wrote:

> i have a usb adsl modem on my desktop and a Belkin wireless network adapter
> .the laptop has built in wireless network . i have ran through the ICS setup
> on both and as i say i have a network connection and can share files also i
> can see my broadband connection on the laptop but cant use it

You only run ICS on one computer. You share the adapter connection to the
USB ADSL modem. You share no other adapter, and you do not run ICS on any
other computer.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

the problem is with the laptop . i have the internet connection via my
desktop pc but i cant get IE6 to use this connection . tools, internet
options ,connections, ?? how do i get IE6 to use this connection or should
it just work??