Missing Mouse Pointer

JimmyStephans

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Hello,

On a new build with Windows 7 Pro (SP1) my mouse pointer disappears after the machine sits a few minutes unused.

Gigabyte UD MB
i7 3930
32GB ram
ATI Video card
WD Raptor HD

Everything is brand new. All drivers are up to date, Win7 all updates.

Nothing else installed. No software, no printers, its all brand new.

Issue happens with various "mice".

Example:

MS Intelle Mouse model X802382 issue happens. I can right click and menus come up, just no mouse pointer n screen unless I CTRL-ALT-DEL, then pointer comes back.

MS Model X800472, same story.

Kensington K72213, same issue.

same with other models of the mouse.

It even continues during change - meaning, happening with one mouse, I unplug that mouse, plug in a new mouse of different model number, Windows installs drivers for new mouse (balloon in lower right), yet still no mouse pointer.

Issue happens with generic mouse drivers or the full package from Windows Update.

could try this

Goto Start > Control Panel > Mouse
Click on the Pointer Options tab
Ensure that the checkbox for Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is checked
Click on the Apply button

Now when you press the CTRL key, you will be able to find the exact location of your mouse

think theres also a visibility option in there somewhere--that may help also

JimmyStephans

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Thanks... I should have mentioned that I had done what. I get the circle, but after that flash the pointer is still missing until CTRL-ALT-DEL.

I also tried messing with the settings for slow trails and all that (as seen by google.com search), but issue remains.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
control panel open the mouse then under pointer use the aero system modelunder personalize use normal then activate both box and apply,next page pointer option slide speed to middle check the box under and the alinement one and apply.go to the wheel page put number 6 in both box activate the top for block by lines and apply,go back to your desktop you should see you mouse pointer

JimmyStephans

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Thanks - but you must have mis-understood.

I am not looking to customize the mouse or its actions.

I am not looking for a way to bring the mouse back when it disappears.

I am looking for a solution to keep it from disappearing in the first place.

Thanks for the tips on tuning the mouse actions.

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

A bit of a longshot perhaps, but if you're still having this issue it's worth a try:

"If your mouse cursor disappears, go to your video card manufacturer’s website and get the drivers from them."
http://laslow.net/2010/08/13/solution-mouse-cursor-in-windows-7-disappears/

As above, the glitch may have been picked up in the updates.

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Ok, and you installed those drivers after all the Windows updates?

That's a bizarre issue.

JimmyStephans

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Yes, after all the original Windows updates. This is a new build, Windows install and all updates that had been available at that time, then updates to the sound and video card drivers, anti-virus.

Thats it. There have been Windows Automatic updates since the build. Also checked the video card update and its current (hasn't changed since build).

mangomanau

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
A bit old i just came about this problem on my PC, but it starts up with the pointer being invisible.

A quick google around i dont see any solutions but i turned on display pointer trails (under pointer options) and set it to short and that at least got the pointer showing again.

As wacky as it sounds, just try it.
If you want to use any of the features, turn them on one at a time and test them first, till you find the one(s) that are causing the problem.

turn off the screen saver set screen saver to never
Go into the power profiles,
set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF
leave the monitor standby ON, that's OK (maybe not, try OFF)
Set the Hard Drive standby to NEVER
Set system Performance to MAXIMUM, not "quiet mode."

Open the bios set up and make sure "cool and quiet" is OFF. (AMD)
There may be a performance setting in the bios setup you have...make sure it's cranked up to max.
in the bios, see that the allocation for video, if available, is maxed.
( we are talking user available settings. Please do not attempt to over clock the computer to fix a problem)

Now open the hardware manager profiles...
click start
click computer
click system properties
click device manager
double click on mice and other pointing devices
right click on HID compliant mouse
left click on properties
click on the power management tab
UN-check the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (there is now NO check mark in this box)
click OK

Now repeat this procedure for all mice, monitors, keyboards, and ALL USB ports on the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.

zamboni driver

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2012

JimmyStephans, did this work?

Jackill

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
My solution regarding the question of missing mouse pointer:

I use a desktop and I my TP Link wireless USB adapter that was creating interference with power schemes (in power management bar), causing the system to react on the device.

By switching off the TP Link - solves the problem OR switching off the Power saver in the properties of the TP LInk.

Tested it and it works!

Guidance: Should definitely look within the power management system if using a lap top in combination with software interference.

Jackill

Bob Cady

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
On my new build with Win 7 Pro (SP1) my mouse pointer would disappear when running Plants Vs Zombies. Haven't gotten anything else of consequence loaded on it yet. The problem went away when I turned off mouse pointer trails. I'm not sure I can live with that but at least that's a possibility for others to check out.

Democaliber

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
It's rather astonishing how the 'solutions' could get so off track. Chances are, when you're having this issue, it's only in certain applications. I had this issue (my pointer was disappearing...only in one program...). In my case, every time I tried using my explorer window for anything (to find files, etc) my pointer would vanish. I was able to rectify this issue by going into the Task Manager and ending the process for explorer.exe then going to File>New Task and typing 'explorer.exe' and hitting enter. Anyone plagued by this random issue could try a similar process for whatever program(s) is(are) giving them issues.

MrsOBBM

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
My cursor also kept disappearing after the computer had been in sleep mode and the problem was getting more & more frequent (and irritating!) This may be coincidence, but while researching another issue on the MS website, I discovered that according to MS themselves, Windows Defender should NOT be running at the same time as other AV software. As I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed, I turned off Windows Defender. Ever since then (a few days ago, now) the disappearing cursor problem has itself disappeared. I presume that conflicting AV software was the cause. It's worth a try - hope this helps somebody.

Fred Dobbs

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014

Fred Dobbs

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
I have recently encountered the same problem. By trial and error, this workaround solution always works:

On your keyboard, press the WINDOWS key and the R key. This will open a RUN window and the mouse cursor will be visible. Mouse-click CANCEL to close this RUN window. Your cursor will now be visible.

Use the above workaround "solution" to force your cursor to reappear until someone comes up with a real fix for the problem of a disappearing cursor.

MrsOBBM

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I have recently encountered the same problem. By trial and error, this workaround solution always works:

On your keyboard, press the WINDOWS key and the R key. This will open a RUN window and the mouse cursor will be visible. Mouse-click CANCEL to close this RUN window. Your cursor will now be visible.

Use the above workaround "solution" to force your cursor to reappear until someone comes up with a real fix for the problem of a disappearing cursor

Bringing up & closing Task Manager for the same purpose also works.

Aaron-W

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014
roduni.... The problem is not usb related in any way other than the fact that the mice are usb based.... Assumptions aren't solutions..

'Simply' unplugging the mouse and plugging it back into another port does not help. My computer has 15 usb ports (Usb 2.0, 3.0 and couple boosted ports from Asus) and switching the mouse between all 15 ports gets me NADA :)

The OP's issue is for sure a flaw in Windows as many others and myself are experiencing the EXACT same problem and the common denominator, is Windows (7 - 8.1 for that matter).
We boot up the computer and the mouse cursor is invisible, still functional in every way, but invisible. Restarting works eventually (usually on the 2nd or 3rd try), but the only way I'm able to bring it back every time consistently is to log out and back in again, forcing windows to refresh its OS data crap. (MrsOBBM - I will try your solution next chance I get, shouldn't be long)

It should be noted that on Windows 8.1, update KB2919355 has been identified as a culprit for many suffering from this issue, however, its an update rollup so uninstalling it, isn't really a solution....

So wtf Microsoft :p are you just trying to make us hate mice? Look how long this problem has existed :p

roduni

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014

roduni

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
Aaron-W,
I apologize for assuming that it is USB related - I may have misunderstood the problem all I know is that occasionally when starting up any of my three
computers running Win 7 Pro the mouse either appears and won't move or does not appear at all. At this stage I can invoke apps using the keys which is a pain or I either do a re-boot with fingers crossed or simply re-plug the mouse in another USB which works every time. I work in a development environment so cannot waste time and money pondering the mystery of windows workings