[SOLVED] Missing video files in DVD folder

Nov 29, 2020
Hope this is the right place for this question. I have been trying to convert DVD movies into MP4 to upload to Plex. Purchased an external dvd player for my laptop and a DVD ripper program however about half the DVDs won't rip and program will not say why. The movies will play on a DVD player with no problems. When I opened up the DVD player folder, next the DVD folder then the Video folder all the files in the video folder show as audio files. However, when I click VOB_.01_01 the complete movie plays, both video and audio. On a couple of free ripper programs when I try to rip the same DVDs I am told they can not be ripped because the correct file cannot be found which I am assuming means the program can not find any "video" files, the same problem I have when I open the DVD folder. These are old DVDs, 1999-2012, I purchased from video stores like Blockbuster and Dillion's. All the program support could tell me is I need a newer computer. Any ideas what is causing this and how I can fix it?

Solution
it's called DRM. the DVD's are designed to prevent you from copying them like this. the software probably states somewhere in the VERY fine print, that it can not work with copy protected disks.

been a long time for me but there were a couple programs that could break some of the protection but i have not even held a physical disk in probably 10 years so not kept up with this type of software.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's called DRM. the DVD's are designed to prevent you from copying them like this. the software probably states somewhere in the VERY fine print, that it can not work with copy protected disks.

been a long time for me but there were a couple programs that could break some of the protection but i have not even held a physical disk in probably 10 years so not kept up with this type of software.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Last edited:
The only thing I remember is the amount of CD and DVD I put in the garbage because of all those ripping / burning software working half the time and just burning a disc took the entire resources of the system. Don't open your browser when you were burning a CD with that 4MB buffer.

Would it be easier to just copy the files from the DVD to the system and convert it then?