Mistake by Asus Technician ??

shivammangla

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Hi guys. Want to ask a simple question. I have asus r510jx (x550jx). My mobo was replaced after 2 months of buying new laptop becoz it was having some beeping problem when off. The person who came to change the mobo was sort of idiot because he installed old heatsink without removing thermal paste from that. I was not knowing about this type of stuff back then. Now it seems that my laptop cpu (i7 4720hq) temp r high (40-45°C on fully idle). Should I replace the thermal paste of my own. I can't say about gpu becoz I don't ever play on it. I am using it for music prod. Will changing thermal paste void my asus sucking warranty which is handled by cheap unprofessionals ??

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You should have an extended warranty from the last time of service, assuming it wasn't shorter than the remaining time on the original warranty.

But generally speaking, they have no recourse as long as you don't physically damage anything. They must honor the warranty unless you do something outside of normal use.

Right to repair invalidates warranty void if removed, and they know this. They just hope to discourage people from bothering to send things in.

shivammangla

Commendable
May 20, 2016

Yup I should have bought extended warranty. But they have a time period of 3 months to buy extended warranty. When I contacted them, it was 4 months old.

As long as the technician used the same processor and the same heat sync (and didn't remove any pre-applied paste), you can reinstall the heat sync without reapplying thermal paste as long as the paste is not dried out. If you have a pc that's newer than 5 years, you shouldn't have to worry, especially if your system is not overclock able. The question is, did you in fact monitor and record temps prior to the technicians visit? If so what temperatures were you getting? What temperatures are you currently getting under 100% full load?