[SOLVED] Mix RAM?

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
I was thinking of getting more RAM, but I noticed that the one I wanted is out of stock. The cas latency on my ram is 16-18-18-38 2x8gigs ddr4 and the one they have in stock is 16-20-20-40. Should I buy this and mix it in with my current ram? or is it better off to just wait till it gets back in stock

Solution
Should I buy this and mix it in with my current ram?
you never know if mixed kits will function together or if you may experience some performance loss due to them not properly syncing data.
even if they are the exact same make & model there is still a chance of incompatibility.

the best option is always to buy a packaged kit to avoid any potential issues that may arise.
Should I buy this and mix it in with my current ram?
you never know if mixed kits will function together or if you may experience some performance loss due to them not properly syncing data.
even if they are the exact same make & model there is still a chance of incompatibility.

the best option is always to buy a packaged kit to avoid any potential issues that may arise.

Reactions: Fatblabs
Solution

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021

well i still want to use my previous 2 sticks of ram, as they are completely functional. So You're saying that my best option is to buy a kit that's completely identical to my previous set?

So You're saying that my best option is to buy a kit that's completely identical to my previous set?
no, i'm saying that even if they are completely identical from the same manufacturer that they may not be 100% compatible or compatible at all.

if you mix separate kits of RAM then you should go through some extensive performance testing after installation and be 100% sure that they are functioning as they should and they are 100% compatible with no problems syncing data.
you can always return the new kit if they prove to not be 100% compatible if purchased from a reputable dealer.

the best option would be to just purchase a 32GB CL14 set and sell the current set or use it in another system.