mixed network

devangm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Hi all,

I am currently running a cable modem with a Linksys 1 port router with NAT, connected to a CNET 8 port switch. All my machines also have ZoneAlarm.

I just got a new laptop and would like to add wireless functionality. My question is:

Do I get a WAP or a Wireless Router? Currently I just need to have wireless on my laptop, but I may have 1 or 2 PCs with wireless down the road.

Also, my cordless phones are 2.4Ghz. Will this interfere with my WAP/Wirelss Router?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

devangm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Thanks,

1 last questions. I 've heard that the D-Link WAP with the airport card could give me up to 22 Mbps. Any truth to that?

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
MAC airport devices use Lucent radios. 22 Mbs is a proprietary encoding scheme called Packet Binary Convolution Coding used with Texas Instrument radios. In contrast, 11 Mb signalling uses CCK, Complimentary Coding Key. 802.11a at 54 Mb and when .11g gets ratified they'll also use OFDM, Orthagonal Frequency Division Multiplexing, at their higher data rates.

When you say Airport card, if your actually talking about a Macintosh Apple client card, it won't associate at 22 Mbps, but it will still associate to an 802.11b+ AP, just with CCK at 11 Mbps.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kwebb68 on 12/27/02 10:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
A lot of great info kwebb. I don't really see where it fits? Anyways. I just want ot say I have almost identical setup. Linksys router, 8 port switch, and I got an SMC access point. I like it all. I also have 3 2.4ghz phones and have noticed no problems.

To me the PC Card's antena size and being able to choose from different vendors is more important than the 22mb.
With that said... check out this 3com with xjack.... http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10325591&loc=101
Beats the hell out of pulling out the card every time you pack up.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I didn't mean any insult by that kwebb. It is a lot of great info. I just assumed when he said Airport he slipped and meant the AirPlus. Which another user also pointed out. So with that in mind I don't see where the technical data fits.

Ohh well. No hard feelings.. My eyes are just glazing over.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

TRENDING THREADS