Mixed Reality HMD Dev Kits From HP, Acer: Preorder Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
How do TDP and Resolution fit into the "PC Requirements for HMD dev kits"

Also, why are notebook GPUs relevant? How many notebooks have the 6- and 8-core CPUs mentioned? Even mini-desktops with mobile GPUs on MXM cards along with those CPU spec have to be really rare.

The minimum resolution is likely for support software, like installers, setup utilities and so on, though I can't imagine too many capable systems running at less than 800x600, which is also the minimum for Windows 10. TDP might be referring to the power requirements of the headset itself.

Tom's seems to have this wrong in that these are not "PC Requirements For HMD Dev Kits" though. Going by the Microsoft store page, they are rather "System recommendations for app developers". So, they're not even requirements, just recommendations for what software developers might wish to have when developing for the HMD. The actual system requirements when these start selling to consumers in stores will almost certainly be lower, especially considering that Intel won't even be selling a 6-core processor for their consumer platforms until next year.

alextheblue

Distinguished

These early recommendations for devs list desktop and notebook GPUs but as you noted they fail to list recommended notebook CPUs. This is very likely an oversight. At this point they would probably recommend the fastest 45W i7 you can get in a monster notebook. Consumer reqs will be much lower - though they do not cover nor override individual game requirements.

The Oculus Rift and PSVR both have around a 100 degree horizontal field of view, so this isn't much different. The actual field of view will also vary depending on how the headset fits to one's face. And really, the main point of these headsets seems to be making VR on the PC available at a much more palatable price. Even after its price reduction, the Oculus Rift with touch controllers is still priced 50% more than this will be with its motion controllers, and the HTC Vive is currently priced twice as much. You're also getting 60% more pixels for a sharper image at this lower price, and there are many other factors that will affect the overall experience, so it's too early to say how these new headsets will compare to the existing offerings. I do suspect we'll see HTC and Oculus showing off their next generation of headsets before the year is through though.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
As others have pointed out, they really need to spell out the consumer system requirements. There is no way a 6-core Intel CPU should be required when a quad-core is sufficient for Oculus and Vive. As a related point, I don't think having a 'consumer' spec system would prevent someone from developing with a DevKit. If I was an indie developer with limited hardware budget (only one system), I would have to pay special attention to make sure my application is not over performing during testing relative to what average consumers might have, if my own platform is an 8-core CPU.

extremepenguin

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Given these are dev kits not targeted at the consumer not listing consumer specs is reasonable. If they do list them and people do buy them for consumer use (which they will) if they had listed the spec's for it then they have legal obligations to meet. By not releasing the consumer specs on a non consumer product they are just following a little legal CYA. Once the final features are released, because the dev kits are often differ slightly from from a released product they will release the final requirements. We just have to be patient, we've been waiting since they were announced a year ago I am sure we can wait a month or so.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

Valid point re: legal side. I would still be concerned that some developers might be discouraged by the artificially high requirements. I would think they want as many devs to jump on board as possible.

extremepenguin

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
During development you often writing and compiling the software on the very same device you are testing from. Take the requirements from say Visual Studio add the requirements of the various development add-ons you are using, then add the requirements for the software you are developing and all of a sudden those "inflated" requirements aren't so inflated.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Couple things.

First, fair point--I could have been clearer on that. You're right, those are PC specs MSFT is advising devs to use. Second, we do know what the PC minimum reqs are for the consumer versions: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pc-requirements-mainstream-vr-hmds,33220.html

Status
Not open for further replies.