[SOLVED] Mixing 2 different RAM kits

mghell34

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
Hey guys. I need help asap please.

My pc runs on Ryzen 7 2700x , Aorus 470x Ultra Gaming
And currently has 1 2x8GB 3200MhZ CL16 Aorus kit.

Unfortunately, the kit isn't available in my country and I cant wait for international shipment.

My current kit is this one : https://www.gigabyte.com/il/Memory/AORUS-RGB-Memory-3200MHz-HCX2#kf

So, unfortunately I have to mix it with another brand. The closest specs I've found for sale currently available are thw G-Skill TridentZ Neo 3200MhZ Cl16 link : https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562838776/F4-3200C16D-16GTZN-Qvl

Overall specs are the closest I could find.
No idea if the TridentZ are Samsung B.Die aswell.

Will they work together ? Will it work fine ? The Pc needs to withsrand big file editing on Ps, LR, Premiere etc

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
mixing ram not in 1 kit, sometime work, sometime don't
Is the only correct answer.

Ram is nothing more than silicon IC chiplets on a pcb. Each chiplet comes from a sheet of silicon punched out to fit the size necessary. Because silicon is not 100% pure, there's always a variation of impurities present, could be any number of different materials from copper to lead to gold or silver. These trace impurities have little affect on the Primary timings, but can greatly affect the 40+ Secondary and Tertiary timings. And each sheet has a different level and combination of impurities present, that's totally unavoidable.

There's only a handful of actual ram OEMs, and they manufacture all the ram for every vendor.

So gskill with...

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Those two kits should work fine together. They both have the same specs and the reality is, that the actual chips are probably made by the same company and the only difference between the two is who put the chips on a board.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
mixing ram not in 1 kit, sometime work, sometime don't
Is the only correct answer.

Ram is nothing more than silicon IC chiplets on a pcb. Each chiplet comes from a sheet of silicon punched out to fit the size necessary. Because silicon is not 100% pure, there's always a variation of impurities present, could be any number of different materials from copper to lead to gold or silver. These trace impurities have little affect on the Primary timings, but can greatly affect the 40+ Secondary and Tertiary timings. And each sheet has a different level and combination of impurities present, that's totally unavoidable.

There's only a handful of actual ram OEMs, and they manufacture all the ram for every vendor.

So gskill with Samsung B-die has the same chiplets as Patriot Elite or half a dozen other sets.

But because of the impurities, vendor means nothing, even speeds and model and primary timings means nothing. You could buy 2 identical sticks in 2 different blister packs, from the same shelf in the same store, on the same day, at the same time and be totally incompatible. Or buy 2 different sticks from 2 different vendors at 2 different times, from 2 different stores and have them work perfectly, first try.

Mixing kits, regardless of any other factor is pot luck. 2 sticks in the same kit is factory tested from thousands of other sticks, and guaranteed to be compatible. Mixing kits, you become the tester and you could try thousands of combinations and still not get compatibility, and a 2 stick kit mixed with another 2 stick kit raises the chances of incompatibility exponentially.

If you've ever wondered why 4 sticks in a kit costs more than 2x2 stick kits, think about the wages of the poor fool stuck mixing ram at a factory to find 4 compatible sticks.

Best suggestion : buy the size and speed of what ram that you want, in ONE kit and use that, no mixing. Get a return on the old kit by selling the old ram.

There's only One Guarantee about mixing ram from seperate kits. There are NO other guarantees.

Solution
When I mix different kits, I almost never bother using XMP, because I nearly always end up having to manually set speed and timings. Usually the looser secondary and tertiary timings with XMP in a two module kit are not quite enough to reliably run four modules without crashes. Although I have found that adding a second single module seems to work more often with XMP.