[SOLVED] Mixing 2 models of crucial ram

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello

I currently own a 8gb crucial 2666mhz (16-18-18-38 1.2v) and i´m looking for another stick to obtain 16gb and dual channel as well
The problem is that i can´t find the same exact model as mine
But i´ve found this one https://www.kabum.com.br/produto/13...b-ddr4-2666-mhz-cl16-udimm-preto-bl8g26c16u4b
It is also crucial with the same timings and voltage as well ( but it isn´t the same stick)

Am i prone to issues or it will work 16gb dual channel ?
I can´t find the exact model due to few options here in brazil
It is also not worth selling because of the low price i´m going to get due to it being a old product( this stick is 1 year old)
I plan on running both at 2666mhz ( no oc)
CPU is a i5 9400f and a tuf b360 gaming plus br motherboard

Thank you!

Solution
Crucial doesn't matter in the slightest. That's a common misunderstanding.

There's only a double handful of actual OEMs like SkHynix, Micron, Samsung, Nanya etc. They make All the ram for all 1000+ different vendors. You'll find the exact same SkHynix chips in Crucial or Kingston or Patriot or Corsair or Gskill. Identical chips. The vendor is just a name painted on a chunk of aluminium heatsink, underneath they are the same.

So unless you actually have a Micron ram, (Crucial is Microns house brand, but they do outsource if it's cheaper) then chances are really good its the same 8Gb worth of SkHynix IC's as in Corsair LPX, Gskill RipJaws V, Kingston HyperX etc.

Matching the same model is just a visual thing for you, as far as...
Everyone is going to tell you not to mix ram, but that is obviously not an option for a lot of the world. Mixing modules can often work just fine, but in a lot of cases you won't be able to run them with the same specs as advertised. That being said, you will probably have no issues running two single modules as you have listed at their advertised 2666 CL16 specs since it will be loose timings already.

So that leaves you with two options. Buy the second single module and if it doesn't work, try to return it for refund or exchange and then get a 2x8GB kit or just get a 2x8GB kit and sell or keep the 8GB single modules after confirming the ram is stable with 0 errors with a ram tester like memtest86.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Everyone is going to tell you not to mix ram, but that is obviously not an option for a lot of the world. Mixing modules can often work just fine, but in a lot of cases you won't be able to run them with the same specs as advertised. That being said, you will probably have no issues running two single modules as you have listed at their advertised 2666 CL16 specs since it will be loose timings already.

So that leaves you with two options. Buy the second single module and if it doesn't work, try to return it for refund or exchange and then get a 2x8GB kit or just get a 2x8GB kit and sell or keep the 8GB single modules after confirming the ram is stable with 0 errors with a ram tester like memtest86.

Understood
I think i´m going to try this new stick since i´m out of options ( like really out of options xD)

Yes , the timings and voltage are both identical
Plugging the new stick then running memtest86 confirms that the system is good to go?

Sorry , since i´m from brazil , what loose timings mean?
I also don´t plan on ocing or using ram above 16gb , i just want 16gb dual channel.

Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan

often
probably
maybe

Which is exactly the answer that people get here.
It might work, it might not.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
often
probably
maybe

Which is exactly the answer that people get here.
It might work, it might not.

But even with identical timings? like i said , this is probably the only crucial on sale here in brazil
Is it worth risking?
If chances that it will work are low maybe it is not worth trying
Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Are the timings identical? Which ones? You've only mentioned the Primary timing set, which is important, but just as important are the 40+ Secondary and Tertiary timings. It's those timings that make or break a mixed ram working, needing adjustments or not working at all.

Mixing ram is a gamble. Kits are tested at a factory, where there's thousands of sticks in consecutive serial numbers, from close to similar silicon sheets. A mixed kit has no such testing done. YOU become the testor. A 2 stick kit might have gone through a hundred different sticks to get a compatible pair, or might have been the next stick on the convayer belt. So mixing you are gambling on compatibility. There's no guarantee except one, There Are no guarantees.

That's why it's advised not to mix, not due to possible incompatibility, but to the off-chance you could test 100 different sticks, drive the postman crazy with returns and still not find a match.

Or the 2 sticks could be like long lost best friends and be perfectly simpatico. Nobody can guess. There's no rhyme or reason to it, no % chance, just pot-luck.

Try if you want to, it's not going to waste anything but some time, just know it could go either way for any odd reason.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
I guess i´m going to try anyway
Not disconsidering these suggestions and hints but this stick is like the only one available for me ( the only crucial available for sale)
I know that the rest of the timings probably won´t be the same but i don´t know
Maybe it is worth trying since this is the only crucial available and the primary timings and voltages are the same.
My friend also has a 2400mhz crucial and he mixed with a crucial 2666 stick and it worked
He also oced the 2400 to 2666 and it works
I think i´m going to try since the same stick here in brazil is a pain
Running memtest with both sticks plugged would be good for testing? If it passes without errors is the kit good to go?

Thank you!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

There's only a double handful of actual OEMs like SkHynix, Micron, Samsung, Nanya etc. They make All the ram for all 1000+ different vendors. You'll find the exact same SkHynix chips in Crucial or Kingston or Patriot or Corsair or Gskill. Identical chips. The vendor is just a name painted on a chunk of aluminium heatsink, underneath they are the same.

So unless you actually have a Micron ram, (Crucial is Microns house brand, but they do outsource if it's cheaper) then chances are really good its the same 8Gb worth of SkHynix IC's as in Corsair LPX, Gskill RipJaws V, Kingston HyperX etc.

Matching the same model is just a visual thing for you, as far as compatibility goes that's entirely upto the chips inside the heatsink and has absolutely nothing to do with brand or vendor or model etc.

I've had 2 sticks of Corsair, different kits, but otherwise identical in every way. Same model, color, speed, everything. Except the manufacturing serial number was only 9 numbers different. Literally a stick came off the line, and the other came off that same line 8 sticks later. Totally incompatible. Would not work with even manually setting 50 odd timings. Zero, nada.

I've also had 2 different rams. A 4Gb and a 2Gb. Different speeds, different voltages, different timings, different brands, vendors, models, different everything. Worked right out of the boxes. As is, no tinkering. Perfectly stable in flex mode.

So it's on you if looks are the thing, but as far as the rest goes, it's got the best chances of working by just matching up primary timings and speeds, brand is meaningless.

Solution

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019

Matching the same model is just a visual thing for you, as far as compatibility goes that's entirely upto the chips inside the heatsink and has absolutely nothing to do with brand or vendor or model etc.

I've had 2 sticks of Corsair, different kits, but otherwise identical in every way. Same model, color, speed, everything. Except the manufacturing serial number was only 9 numbers different. Literally a stick came off the line, and the other came off that same line 8 sticks later. Totally incompatible. Would not work with even manually setting 50 odd timings. Zero, nada.

I've also had 2 different rams. A 4Gb and a 2Gb. Different speeds, different voltages, different timings, different brands, vendors, models, different everything. Worked right out of the boxes. As is, no tinkering. Perfectly stable in flex mode.

So it's on you if looks are the thing, but as far as the rest goes, it's got the best chances of working by just matching up primary timings and speeds, brand is meaningless.
Understood
Well i don´t really mind looks but i thought another crucial would be better than another brand of the same timings , speed and voltage
But still , this is the only stick with identical specs as mine (primary timings i mean) so i guess it is still the best option
I think i´m going to try , as this stick is really the best option ( there´s nothing similar right now)
For the tests , memtest86 could test if both sticks are fine?
Thank you

For the tests , memtest86 could test if both sticks are fine?
Thank you
You would have both modules installed at the same time using the XMP setting for CL16-18-18, so you can see if they will pass the memtest86 automatic default 4 pass test. If they don't pass, it doesn't mean the ram is defective, but just needs some tweaking. You can change the timings slightly to loosen them or let the motherboard set automatic timings (usually looser timings like CL17 instead of CL16) after manually setting just the speed to 2666.

If the ram were still giving errors at 2133, then it likely means one of them is defective and you would test them individually.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
B360 mobo, 9400f cpu. Prolly no xmp but work at 2666MHz right away as that's the cpu memory controller default max speed.
It does have xmp but it is useless ( like literally 1mhz more)
My stick runs at 2666mhz but at default bios settings
Is tweaking necessary for this new stick or it will already work at 2666?
Thank you

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's 2666MHz right, so it's going to run at 2666MHz.

If it runs and is stable, doesn't need tweaking or touching. Plug and play. If memtest comes up with an error or three after an overnight pass, then add a little voltage or bump up the SA agent etc. But the less you mess with, the better off you'll be