Question Mixing GPUs for a dual GPU setup

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Currently have dual Titan Voltas on a ROG 399 motherboard.
Was thinking of upgrading one card to a A5000.
Is it ok to mix 2 different cards like this? I’d like to keep 2 cards since some software like DaVinci Resolve will be able to take advantage of them.

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Since its a $3000 investment and there are NO returnds or exchanges I need to be 100% certain this card will work for me.

Runninga ROG Zenith Xtreme X399 Motherboard with dual Titan Voltas and a EVGA 1200W PS.

Thnking of replacing just one with a A500.

Anyone aware of any compatiblity issues?

kanewolf

Titan
Since its a $3000 investment and there are NO returnds or exchanges I need to be 100% certain this card will work for me.

Runninga ROG Zenith Xtreme X399 Motherboard with dual Titan Voltas and a EVGA 1200W PS.

Thnking of replacing just one with a A500.

Anyone aware of any compatiblity issues?
A Quadro A5000 ? What is your use-case ? The outputs are display port, do you have monitors with DP ?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
My first question is why are you purchasing from a place with no exchanges or refunds? I see lots of listings for new A5000s for $2000 and under, with normal return/refund requirements. First step is figuring out why you're spending an extra grand and getting fewer consumer rights, to boot. No refund/return for a GPU is already a red line that would be a deal breaker for me.

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
re no exchange or refunds. Agree.
However the only options for returns (I live in Canada) would be to go thru BestBuy which I'm not a fan of. $3000 is the best price I can find in Cdn funds. Would love to know where you see them available for <$2000. Even with the exchange and shipping, I would probably be ahead.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
re no exchange or refunds. Agree.
However the only options for returns (I live in Canada) would be to go thru BestBuy which I'm not a fan of. $3000 is the best price I can find in Cdn funds. Would love to know where you see them available for <$2000. Even with the exchange and shipping, I would probably be ahead.

Ah, you didn't specify Canadian.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G1Y6ZGT?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

In any case, refund/replacement being unavailable on something so expensive is a serious red line, to the degree that you should be looking at different workstation GPUs.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Can only afford to update one of two TitanV GPUs and was considering a A5000 (nVidia RTX series, formerly Quadro)

But it seems they require two different drivers!
Same version but definitely different drivers. Can I assume these 2 cards cannot work together?
A5000

Titan V

kanewolf

Titan
Can only afford to update one of two TitanV GPUs and was considering a A5000 (nVidia RTX series, formerly Quadro)

But it seems they require two different drivers!
Same version but definitely different drivers. Can I assume these 2 cards cannot work together?
A5000

Titan V
It is typically a frustrating situation. The drivers DO fight each other. I would not recommend mixing Quadro and GTX cards.

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Thanks for the feedback!
Was sold on the A5000 for size (same as TitanV), efficiency.
Perhaps I should reconsider the consumer grade 3090 or 4080?
The 3 slot design would mean only 1 card and my understanding is that it is possible to throttle power consumption if heat is a concern.