Mixing RAM sticks

Loopas

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Hello everyone,

What do I need to consider when mixing two different types of RAM sticks? I'm upgrading a work computer (4GB) with an stick (8GB) from another computer. If possible I would like to use both sticks in the same computer. I have heard that mixing RAM sticks of different size affects performance.

I believe they are both DDR3 sticks. Does the speed have to match as well? What performance issues may arise if the sticks are incompatible?

Thanks

Solution
For starters, they will both need to be DDR3. DDR3 has its own layout. So you will know if it fits in the board.

Mixing and matching RAM does not always work. This is why it is sold in kits as they are tested to work together. It is best to match model, size and speed, but that is not always possible.

With that being said, just because it wont always work, does not mean it wont work. In fact, it probably will work. There is no harm in trying. Install the second stick in the appropriate DIMM and see if your system boots. If it boots it will run at the lowest speed RAM. Performance loss will be minimal. The key is to get the sticks to boot.
If you have both sticks and don't have to pay for the upgrade, then i'd say go ahead and trick around with them to get them to work. Thats the fun part.

There are a dew things to consider. Timings, voltage and speed. If you pair two dimms with different speeds then it will default to the lowest common denominator. With that said, different dimms run with different voltages (for optimum performance). But that's when it get starts to get more challenging.

It's possible to get the different dimms to work together, but it's time consuming.

The advice is always to buy a matched kit. 2x 4, 2x8, 2 x 16 or whatever. This is because they are guaranteed to work together. If they are not a matchedkit, they are not guaranteed, and you may have problems. The problems, could range from unusual performance, to actual PC crashing on occasion.

For starters, they will both need to be DDR3. DDR3 has its own layout. So you will know if it fits in the board.

Mixing and matching RAM does not always work. This is why it is sold in kits as they are tested to work together. It is best to match model, size and speed, but that is not always possible.

With that being said, just because it wont always work, does not mean it wont work. In fact, it probably will work. There is no harm in trying. Install the second stick in the appropriate DIMM and see if your system boots. If it boots it will run at the lowest speed RAM. Performance loss will be minimal. The key is to get the sticks to boot.

Solution

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
I actually ran my old computer with 2x8g sticks and 2x4g sticks without a single issue. Granted they were the dame brand and rated speed, but they were different sizes and I never had an issue. Like the others pop those puppies in and see what happens. Good luck