[SOLVED] Mixing RAM with same speed but different latency?

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
I have got "G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL15-15-15-35 RAM" in my desktop, i want to add 8GB(or may be 16GB more), but i cant find the RAM with same "CL". Can i add a RAM with different CL? Will there be any practical difference or just theoretical difference? i only use my desktop for gaming. few questions are-

1) does brand matter, as long as clock speed and latency are same?
2)my windows 10 system uses ~30% RAM at ideal. will it use same amount of RAM it has 16GB RAM?
3) can i add 16GB to my 8GB RAM?(total 24GB RAM)

Solution
Whether you notice or care about the speed difference is up to you. If you don't mind slower ram performance after 16GB of ram is used when using 8Gb and 16GB for 24GB total, then go for it. Just know that the chances of incompatibility are much greater when running miss matched modules. Buying your ram in 2x or 4x kits is best for compatibility. If you don't actually need 24GB, get an 8GB for a total of 16GB installed to avoid any issues with dual channel mode.
okkk thnx for info.
If you mix your ram, the motherboard automatic settings will use the cas latency on the module(s) with the looser timing (higher number). It's better to buy your ram in 2x or 4x kits for the best compatibility when using more than one module.

Adding an 8GB module to your existing 8GB, assuming you have a single module, will enable dual channel mode.

Adding a 16GB module to your 8GB, will allow dual channel mode to function up to 16GB. Once the system uses more than 16GB, it will drop to single channel mode. Depending on what you do, you may not even notice the difference, unless you play mostly games.

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
If you mix your ram, the motherboard automatic settings will use the cas latency on the module(s) with the looser timing (higher number). It's better to buy your ram in 2x or 4x kits for the best compatibility when using more than one module.

Adding an 8GB module to your existing 8GB, assuming you have a single module, will enable dual channel mode.

Adding a 16GB module to your 8GB, will allow dual channel mode to function up to 16GB. Once the system uses more than 16GB, it will drop to single channel mode. Depending on what you do, you may not even notice the difference, unless you play mostly games.
Does dual channel make so much difference? I mean 8GB+8GB RAM vs 8GB+16GB RAM, wouldn't 24GB be more, even if it's not dual channel?

Does dual channel make so much difference? I mean 8GB+8GB RAM vs 8GB+16GB RAM, wouldn't 24GB be more, even if it's not dual channel?
Whether you notice or care about the speed difference is up to you. If you don't mind slower ram performance after 16GB of ram is used when using 8Gb and 16GB for 24GB total, then go for it. Just know that the chances of incompatibility are much greater when running miss matched modules. Buying your ram in 2x or 4x kits is best for compatibility. If you don't actually need 24GB, get an 8GB for a total of 16GB installed to avoid any issues with dual channel mode.

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
okkk thnx for info.

Solution