Mixing rams or buy a set ?

GiorgosGRN

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Hello there,

I know there are many questions about this one but I want YOU to make it clear so I can't really get it..
(If you can please answer using 1) , 2) etc as I'm making clear questions)

I currently have a pre built pc which I've upgraded some things to it.

The pc has the following:
Motherboard: Foxconn 2abf
CPU: Intel i3 2120
Ram: HP one @ 1333mhz (I had found it is cas latency 9)
GPU: Sapphire R7 250 (Upgraded)
PSU: Coolermaster elite 600 (Upgraded)
HDD: 500 GB

According to this and your knowledge,
http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/specs-foxconn-2abf-motherboard-7252011h48/

1) Can I buy a 4 gb ram stick by looking at the cas latency / speed / and let it work along with the HP one ?

2) What are the disadvantages of mixing 2 sticks which are theoretical identical?

3) Shall I just don't be stupid, get some money and buy a pair of the new ram?

4) According to the link I posted above, 8 GB of ram is the maximum amount I can use. What happens if I install more ?

5) My friend has a better motherboard which he's planning to give me in the future. Will my ram work on him machine? I think the type of the ram my machine uses is somehow "special" and it is not going to work on machines which don't support it.

Thanks for your time I really appreciate it :)

Solution
1 2) yes you can do that some times it works some times it doesn't. One thing for sure is that higher frequency sticks don't play well if they aren't from the same set. If you want to do that anyway I would suggest buying a higher frequency stick and maybe when you buy the next one use the standard freq settings by intel (if that makes any sense).

3) Is by far the safest option

4) If that is the case the extra memory will not be recognized at all. And there is a possibility that because the sticks would have higher capacity they won't be detected at all. Meaning if you put a single 8 gigs stick.

5)depends on the series of his motherboard. If it uses ddr3 you will be fine.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
1 2) yes you can do that some times it works some times it doesn't. One thing for sure is that higher frequency sticks don't play well if they aren't from the same set. If you want to do that anyway I would suggest buying a higher frequency stick and maybe when you buy the next one use the standard freq settings by intel (if that makes any sense).

3) Is by far the safest option

4) If that is the case the extra memory will not be recognized at all. And there is a possibility that because the sticks would have higher capacity they won't be detected at all. Meaning if you put a single 8 gigs stick.

5)depends on the series of his motherboard. If it uses ddr3 you will be fine.

Solution