mixing SATA and IDE Hard Drives

Hi all,

I have an ASUS P4C800 MB with an Intel 3.2g processor. When I upgraded my
system I had a 120g Western Digital HD (7200RPM) so I did not put in a new
drive.

I'm doing more and more video editing and would like to add a second hard
drive. I know I can buy the exact same drive and add it. But could I get a
120g SATA drive and have the two of them co-exist?

Thanks for any help here

Hunter

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

GKenney wrote
> 120g SATA drive and have the two of them co-exist?

my drivespecs were a little smaller in size but the best performing
solution was to purchase a maxtor SATA / PCI card (they use Promise
chips) and maxtor sata drives

initially connected just 1 maxtor to the pci card and later ghosted
(symantec ghost) the primary ide to another maxtor sata, then
disconnected the ide drive and switched to using the new maxtor (now 2
sata drives, no ide drives in system)

note that the PCI/SATA card does have an ide connector but I wanted to
get the fastest performance for the least heat and the fluid dynamic
bearings in the maxtors make the system virtually silent

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:39:09 -0400, "GKenney" <wgkenney@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have an ASUS P4C800 MB with an Intel 3.2g processor. When I upgraded my
>system I had a 120g Western Digital HD (7200RPM) so I did not put in a new
>drive.
>
>I'm doing more and more video editing and would like to add a second hard
>drive. I know I can buy the exact same drive and add it. But could I get a
>120g SATA drive and have the two of them co-exist?
>
>Thanks for any help here

Not sure about your motherboard, but I have a Gigabyte GA7 400 Pro
that has a Seagate 120 gig Sata drive (being used as the main drive),
a 40 gig Seagate drive that the main drive accesses due to short cuts
and an 80 gig Maxtor drive all living happily together. So as long as
your motherboard has no nasties hidden away, then they all should be
able to live together nicely.