[SOLVED] Mixing storage from two used computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Hi

I bought a used pc and am now wondering how I should set this up without breaking anything.

What I have taken out of my old pc is 256gb Samsung 860 EVO with Win 10 installed and my own programmes.

What is in the new pc is a Crucial CT1000MX 1TB SSD which has been formatted but apparently has Win 10 PRO on it.

Can I put my old SSD in the pc and just boot up windows on there and put my games on the 1tb SSD?
Should I ditch the 256gb and go for a fresh install on the 1tb SSD?
Can I even use both in one system?

Thanks for your help, scared to do something wrong.

USAFRet

Titan
Moving the drive+OS from your old system to this new one often fails.
Three basic possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months

#1 is the least likely to occur.

Full wipe and reinstall on the 1TB Crucial. Wipe out everything of the previous owner.
Later, connect the 860 EVO, and also wipe it clean...all partitions.

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Moving the drive+OS from your old system to this new one often fails.
Three basic possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months
#1 is the least likely to occur.

Full wipe and reinstall on the 1TB Crucial. Wipe out everything of the previous owner.
Later, connect the 860 EVO, and also wipe it clean...all partitions.

Then I guess using the 1tb one is the way to go. I have enough with 1TB to be fair. However im unsure how exactly, the owner said win 10 pro is included and ready for installation. Should I ask him for the Windows key ?

USAFRet

Titan
Then I guess using the 1tb one is the way to go. I have enough with 1TB to be fair. However im unsure how exactly, the owner said win 10 pro is included and ready for installation. Should I ask him for the Windows key ?
You should absolutely get the license key.
In fact, that is a required condition of this sale. The seller is required to give that to you, per Windows licensing terms.

Having said that, a fresh install on this system will almost certainly activate itself.

Resist the urge to just start using it with the current OS install. You have no idea what the previous users had in there.
This is like walking down the street, some random person handing you a sandwich, and you taking a big bite from it. You have no idea whats in it.

Full wipe and reinstall.

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
You should absolutely get the license key.
In fact, that is a required condition of this sale. The seller is required to give that to you, per Windows licensing terms.

Having said that, a fresh install on this system will almost certainly activate itself.

Resist the urge to just start using it with the current OS install. You have no idea what the previous users had in there.
This is like walking down the street, some random person handing you a sandwich, and you taking a big bite from it. You have no idea whats in it.

Full wipe and reinstall.

The owner said he formatted the SSD himself so I guess I’ll be going in from zero. I can only start up the system on friday as I am currently on holiday.

Good point about the key though. I doubt I will even be able to start formatting the pc without the key itself.

Your help has been awesome by the way.

USAFRet

Titan
The owner said he formatted the SSD himself so I guess I’ll be going in from zero. I can only start up the system on friday as I am currently on holiday.

Good point about the key though. I doubt I will even be able to start formatting the pc without the key itself.

Your help has been awesome by the way.
Even if the previous owner said he did it 5 minutes ago...I would still do it myself. You really have no idea what he used for this install.

Trust, but verify.

And a clean install on this same hardware should incur no license issues, and it should just activate itself.
But have him give you that documentation anyway.

Reactions: Coryn94
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS