[SOLVED] Mixing these two RAM types together

Ardbeat

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
Dear readers,

I have 2 PC builds in two homes, both ones are fairly outdated maybe. Nonetheless both PC's possess 2x4GB of DDR3-1600 RAM. My question is, is it possible to merge these two types of RAM together into one system of 4x4GB then.

One PC has this RAM type:
- https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/186/1532583753/F3-1600C11S-4GNT-Specification

The other one has this RAM type:
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3_4G.pdf

So will I be able to merge them on an Asus Z97-K motherboard? and which type of RAM will be the better RAM when used independently?

Looking forward to your answers :)

With kind regards,

Solution
Allright thanks, yes I did run the Windows Memory Diagnostic test and it said to be working fine, no errors found. So this would imply that it is functioning well.
I didn't see your previous post, because I forgot to reload the page after I left it open a few hours previous to replying.

So because you are using the settings of the G.Skill module, the voltage will be set to 1.5 for all the modules. You would only need 1.65v if you were using the tighter (better) CL9 timings, but the Kingston module conforms to the JEDEC CL11 1600 1.5v standard. There are better modules that will run 1600 CL9 with 1.5v if you wanted to buy 4 of those. I bought two used 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9 1.5v kits on eBay last year and I think it was $55 total.

Ardbeat

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
You can certainly try it but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. You may end up with 16GB or 0GB or some other variation. Mixing different DRAM modules is always highly suspect.

Allright thanks, but if it won't work, what would be another way to get 16gb ram then? Only to buy a complete new 16gb set? Because I am not sure if they ship these specific cards anymore haha

You can make any combinations you want, however memory manufacturers won't guarantee the kind of combination you propose to be compatible together. You are free to do any compatibility testing on your own.

Memory modules sold as Single Modules have no guarantee to work in any configuration other than as a Single Module. You can bet that using four 1x4GB modules such as you have linked will not boot up.

https://www.ebay.com/b/DIMM-DDR3-SDRAM-Computer-16-GB-Total-Capacity-Memory-RAM/170083/bn_113557120

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
I mixed some 2x4 1600MHz Generic Samsung sticks with both 1x8GB and 2x4GB 1866MHz G.Skill sticks and they worked fine for me personally even in Quad Channel. My mobo didn't support 1866MHz so I never got to test out overclocking or anything so they just sat at default 1600MHz timings and such.
Your mileage may vary though but generally as long as they're both from the same manufacturer (which these probably are) it should be fine.

Mar 1, 2020
Dear readers,

I have 2 PC builds in two homes, both ones are fairly outdated maybe. Nonetheless both PC's possess 2x4GB of DDR3-1600 RAM. My question is, is it possible to merge these two types of RAM together into one system of 4x4GB then.

So will I be able to merge them on an Asus Z97-K motherboard? and which type of RAM will be the better RAM when used independently?

With kind regards,

The conventional advice is that it is a bad idea - but I have mixed ram from different manufacturers on many builds without any issue.
I think it will be fine.
As which is best independently - it depends on which manufacturer is considered better.. I know the gskill name - haven't heard of the other one, so if I was to pick that is the one I would go with.
But like I said, I think you can use both without issue.

Ardbeat

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
Hello guys,

So I tried it and it worked. The PC now says its running on 16gb.
However, one more question, how do I know if its working well? and is it a problemt that the Gskill set is 1.5v and the Kingston set is 1.65v? It is running now tho.

With kind regards

Dear readers,

One PC has this RAM type:
- https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/186/1532583753/F3-1600C11S-4GNT-Specification

The other one has this RAM type:
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3_4G.pdf

With kind regards,
The G.Skill module is dual rank and uses 16x256 chips and the Kingston is single rank with 8x512. So mixing a single and a dual rank module may cause issues, but you won't know until you try it. If they do work together, it will default to CL11 at 1600 using the G.Skill modules timings.

Ardbeat

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
The G.Skill module is dual rank and uses 16x256 chips and the Kingston is single rank with 8x512. So mixing a single and a dual rank module may cause issues, but you won't know until you try it. If they do work together, it will default to CL11 at 1600 using the G.Skill modules timings.

Allright thanks, yes I did run the Windows Memory Diagnostic test and it said to be working fine, no errors found. So this would imply that it is functioning well.

I didn't see your previous post, because I forgot to reload the page after I left it open a few hours previous to replying.

So because you are using the settings of the G.Skill module, the voltage will be set to 1.5 for all the modules. You would only need 1.65v if you were using the tighter (better) CL9 timings, but the Kingston module conforms to the JEDEC CL11 1600 1.5v standard. There are better modules that will run 1600 CL9 with 1.5v if you wanted to buy 4 of those. I bought two used 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9 1.5v kits on eBay last year and I think it was $55 total.

Solution