[SOLVED] Mixing two different capacity kits of ram

Dec 3, 2021
Can I mix 2x16GB Ripjaws V with 2x8GB Ripjaws V? They are both the same speed (3200) and from the same product line.

Would I still get similar performance but just with more capacity?

I apologize if this is an answered question. I had a hard time finding anything on google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
Ryzen, in particular is very much tied to ram operation.
I would not try.

Do you really need more ram in the first place?
For gaming only, the answer is likely no.
If you are running ram intensive apps or heavy multiprogramming, then perhaps yes.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please don't mix and match kits of ram. If you want more capacity, pick the same ram kit that you currently have(if your motherboard has two more ram slots) or purchase a higher capacity as a dual channel ram kit(provided your motherboard can handle individual larger capacity ram sticks) and ditch(sell) the one that you have, just don't mix and match.

Make and model of your motherboard and processor for the build?

Dec 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please don't mix and match kits of ram. If you want more capacity, pick the same ram kit that you currently have(if your motherboard has two more ram slots) or purchase a higher capacity as a dual channel ram kit(provided your motherboard can handle individual larger capacity ram sticks) and ditch(sell) the one that you have, just don't mix and match.

Make and model of your motherboard and processor for the build?

Thanks for replying. I have an AMD 1600AF on an Asrock B450m Steel legend. There are 2x8GB sticks already in the system. Will performance really be affected? They are essentially the same kits just different capacities. They run at the same speeds (3200) and have the same latency timings (16-18-18-38)

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
I would not try.

If you are running ram intensive apps or heavy multiprogramming, then perhaps yes.

Solution
Dec 3, 2021
I would not try.

Thanks for your reply. Yes for gaming its perfectly fine. I only run into issues while extreme multitasking (Discord, Chrome, Intellij, Crypto miner, Spotify) I think I will just go ahead and buy another set of the same kit.