MMO troubleshoot help

krimson4eva

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
So I recently built a gaming rig, instead of redownloading mmorpgs I play I wanted to copy the folders the installs made in the local disk C and place them in my new rig's local disk C and just play them like that.. Is that possible or am I just wasting time? here is a list of MMO's I play and want to try this with ( TERA Online, Eden Eternal, Grand Fantasia, Scarlet Blade, Forsaken World and Vinticus )

Rafterman414

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
It all comes down to how the installer for each game operates. I was able to just copy over my Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, and Lord of the Rings Online folders and they all ran just fine. Just make sure if there is a folder for the game in your Documents directory that you copy that one as well since that may contain config items such as key mappings etc. If the installer writes alot of different registry values then that is a different story.

Rafterman414

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

It is probably because the program is trying to find a dll using some value in the registry from when it was installed on your old machine however now it cannot find that file since it does now know where to look. Or there could be some dependencies missing such as Microsoft C++ Redistributable or .NET Framework. Some games will work fine without having to run the installer while others will depend on it.

Also ensure you are running the launcher for the game and not the game's exe directly. What I mean by this is that some MMOs use a launcher where you put in your account info etc, that launcher then runs the game. The launcher will still be an exe file but it may be named something like <gamename> Launcher or Invoker or something like that.

DarkSable is right most likely you will need to install the game again but you might come across a few that work. Ideally I would reinstall the game anyway, just find a time when you will be out and let the downloads run.

Rafterman414

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Yeah that can be a pain. So there will still be some downloading involved but try and download Microsoft .NET Framework as well as the Visual C++ redistributable and install those. If the error that you get is referencing a VCREDIST dll then that may be alleviated by downloading the appropriate Visual C++ runtime.

try installing the game from the original cd and then copying all of the game files from your original location to the new location. all of the files outside the /programfiles/ directory get installed (such as things in the registry) and you do not have to download all of the updates.

i've done this several times when moving my 4gb guild wars installation from pc to pc!