Question Mobile non internet plex server

Grrrumbles

Prominent
May 20, 2017
We do a lot of cruises and when we are away we are generally off the grid.

Because the TV selection on cruises is pretty rubbish, we have taken to setting up a plex server on an old laptop. This uses a 2tb HDD in place of the optical drive. We have no internet access when on cruises other than on our phones and sometimes we don't use those if outside of the EU.

The problem with this is that it is heavy and when you are taking flights, you want to keep luggage weight to a minimum. My other reason for taking a laptop is that I am a photographer and want to be able to back up my images on the road.

I am therefore looking to set up something that allows me to back up my images as well as running a mobile plex server that we can access with a tablet.

I was wondering if this setup would work?

1 A Raspberry Pi to run the plex server (any advice on which one to get?)
2 A usb drive caddy for a 2.5inch 2tb HDD (with external power if needed)
3 one of these to act as a wifi access point/bridge between the raspberry pi and hard disk. This device would also allow SD card backups to the 2tb drive: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TI3W...olid=34BBC2B18LLFI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Any thoughts? The other option is one of those WD wifi hard disks, but they are very expensive.

Grrrumbles

Prominent
May 20, 2017
Sorry to resurect and old thread, but I bought a raspberry pi 3, a USB 3 hard drive enclosure and a Rav filehub and it all works really well as a plex server. It's fast enough to work reasonably well and when we're at home, I plug it into our router so we can access it off the Pi.

If you're looking for a mobile solution, you can't go wrong with this setup.