[SOLVED] MOBO and RAM compatibility

XCUT

Commendable
Jul 20, 2019
I got MSI Z490 ACE and I'd like to buy this memory. However, on the MSI supported RAM list (click "compatibility" on the left side) this RAM model isn't listed there.
So, my question is: does it really matter if a given memory model is on a compatibility list or not? Will this RAM work properly on my motherboard?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
You're good to go with any memory you want so long as the slots conform to the sticks you want to buy and that the IMC on the processor supports that speed, alongside the chipset. In your case, the board will accept any DDR4-3200 and higher ram kit on the market. If you're worried about the kit not being in the QVL, it's because the kit wasn't available for testing before the motherboard saw release.

FYI, if every stick or kit of ram on the market were tested and put into the QVL list, the board wouldn't see the light of day(release) since it'd be in testing all the time. The QVL tells people that these kits worked at our labs before the board went into release.

Lutfij

Titan
You're good to go with any memory you want so long as the slots conform to the sticks you want to buy and that the IMC on the processor supports that speed, alongside the chipset. In your case, the board will accept any DDR4-3200 and higher ram kit on the market. If you're worried about the kit not being in the QVL, it's because the kit wasn't available for testing before the motherboard saw release.

FYI, if every stick or kit of ram on the market were tested and put into the QVL list, the board wouldn't see the light of day(release) since it'd be in testing all the time. The QVL tells people that these kits worked at our labs before the board went into release.

Solution