Mobo FAN headers, have I got the gist of it?

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Could you check and see if I correctly understood the fan headers for the Asus Z270E mobo?

CPU_FAN: Main CPU fan (kraken X52 COOLER - corsair air SP120 1st fan on front of case)
CPU_OPT: Second CPU fan (kraken X52 COOLER - corsair air SP120 2nd fan on front of case)
CHA_FAN1: Case fan (Corsair Air AF140 fan on top of case)
CHA_FAN2: Case fan (Corsair Air AF120 fan on back/rear of case)

OTHERS:
H_AMP_FAN: N/A (for faster 3amp fans but can connect standard ones)
AIO_PUMP: N/A (cpu fan can be attached but default is full fan speed)
EXT_FAN: N/A (inoperable)

These are pics of the mobo i'm buying. Second pic is a mobo fan placement diagram

Considering my 4 fans would you place them in the same aforementioned headers for this mobo? Or would you suggest otherwise for cable management too. Thanks in advance for any advice.

My partpicker list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hqVjgL

Your fans are going to the same headers I would use. Without knowing what case you have, I don't know if/where it has cable management grommets.

Can't you put your X52 on the top of the case as exhaust? Using it as intake will dump the CPU's heat back into the system, and may make your graphics card run hotter and/or louder.

EDIT: Wait. You aren't plugging your pump into anything. Plug your pump into the AIO_PUMP header. It needs power or else your coolant will not flow, and your CPU will overheat.

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
You caught out the noobiness in me lol. I totally forgot the pump plug and thanks to you I got that pinned in my notes as "AIO_PUMP connector"

RE: X52 placement, i agree! Problem is the top fan placement in the S340 ELITE CASE is for 1 one fan only (140mm) whereas the case-front supports the X52 with 2 fans + rad measuring 240mm. I could opt for a single fan CPU cooler but the NZXT superiority in appearance has me sold on it. The only alternative i can think of is mounting both fans on the inner side of the RAD as exhausts. But then should the remainder 2 case fans remain as exhausts or should one of these be used for intake?

CASE FAN SUPPORT IMAGES:

TRENDING THREADS