Question Mobo for Ryzen 3600

Oct 22, 2019
I need help choosing the right mobo for the Ryzen 3600 CPU. I think running DDR4-3200 will work fine but I would love some input.

Oct 23, 2019
Any B3/450 or X3/4/570 chipset motherboard would work with the 3600. Note that with B350 and X370 chipset motherboards, you may need a BIOS update.

Personally, I would pick the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite motherboard as it's a great motherboard for the price, but if you are looking for a feature-packed motherboard then you should buy an MSI MPG X570 Gaming PRO Carbon WiFi mobo as it has everything you need for your build.

If on a budget, Id recommend the MSI Tomahawk B450.

Its a very nice, well built board for its price. I actually have it in my build. Have not had 1 issue. I run a R5 2600 on it.

However 1 thing to note ahead of time just in case, as I didnt realize at the time but may not be a big deal for most, the board only has JRGB headers and not ARGB headers.

So you cannot directly plug in addressable rgb to the mobo. You would be limited to a rgb controller and its modes/options. Which for me wasnt a big deal but when I ordered my argb fan kit and found out I couldnt use them directly on the mobo, was slightly bummed. But it was my own fault for lack of knowledge.

Heres a link. https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Crossfir...+tomahawk&qid=1571859879&s=electronics&sr=1-1

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Requires BIOS update but has BIOS flashback (you do not need a CPU to update it)
Motherboard:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($111.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $111.89

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $149.89

Does not require a BIOS update:
Motherboard:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $114.99

Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.89 @ OutletPC)

IMO The TOMAHAWK MAX makes the most sense for the value, that B450 is out of the box compatible and should have everything you need.

Reactions: WildCard999
Requires BIOS update but has BIOS flashback (you do not need a CPU to update it)
Motherboard:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($111.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $111.89

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.89 @ OutletPC)

Does not require a BIOS update:
Motherboard:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $114.99

Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.89 @ OutletPC)

IMO The TOMAHAWK MAX makes the most sense for the value, that B450 is out of the box compatible and should have everything you need.

Sorry to butt in, however Im wondering which update is required for the tomahawk as I was under the impression my current bios was good for all of the R5 series (im running a 2600).

Am I getting less performance or something since I have not updated the mobo since I bought it about 6 months ago?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sorry to butt in, however Im wondering which update is required for the tomahawk as I was under the impression my current bios was good for all of the R5 series (im running a 2600).

Am I getting less performance or something since I have not updated the mobo since I bought it about 6 months ago?
They're all fine for the 2000 Ryzen series.
But require the BIOS update in order to be compatible with the 3000 Ryzen series :)

You shouldn't need a BIOS update, the only one I imagine making any noticeable difference is the ABBA update for 3rd gen, but not 2nd gen.

For the MAX, it's compatible out of the box with 3rd gen.
For non-MAX tomahawk, you need 7C02v19
Just stating that for the 3600, not updating the BIOS, the PC simply wouldn't boot at all.

Reactions: Jason H.
They're all fine for the 2000 Ryzen series.
But require the BIOS update in order to be compatible with the 3000 Ryzen series :)

You shouldn't need a BIOS update, the only one I imagine making any noticeable difference is the ABBA update for 3rd gen, but not 2nd gen.

For the MAX, it's compatible out of the box with 3rd gen.
For non-MAX tomahawk, you need 7C02v19
Just stating that for the 3600, not updating the BIOS, the PC simply wouldn't boot at all.

Ty for the info! and again sorry to interrupt the ops topic but I feel it could help someone who may see your reply in the future!

Reactions: PC Tailor
At this point I don't think you need to worry about bios update after all this time most motherboards out there are manufactor after the new CPUs are out, which means most will have the bios that is compatible.
I bought a B450 Steel legend and ran out of the box the 3700 with no problems. Great motherboard.