Question Mobo for Ryzen 7 2700

Mar 22, 2019
Ahead of time I apologize for the book of a read but want everybody to know the full background who may be able to help.

Background:
Setup:
CPU - AMD Ryzan 7 1800x --> now working with Ryzen 7 2700
CPU cooler - Corsair H100 I v2
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-AX370-k5 --> now to current installed MSI x470 pro carbon
VID card - Asus Rog gtx 1080 - A8G - gaming 8GB
Ram - Corsair vengeance LPX 16gb 2x8 sticks DDR4
PSU - RAM'd a Corsair RM650x and went up to a EVGA supernova 1000 P2
HDD - Seagate barracuda 7200

Thanks for the time looking at my issue. I have been fighting this PC for the last couple weeks, first off with a couple of random restarts and after changing CPU cooler out and PSU, I am not to MOBO. Replaced the mobo with a MSI x470 pro carbon last night, thought everything was good, got past bios and into windows and was stable for a bit and was actively updating bios/etc. I must have updated wrong bios version or something because after the restart is was extremely unstable. Flashed new bios and am currently running 7B78v20 and its not making a difference. From start and getting into windows the CPU temp just climbs while my CPU cooler goes through the roof in RPM trying to keep up. I don't know where to turn, ive now put a bunch more money back into this trying to pinpoint the first issue of restarts right after mobo screen and then restarts on game startup with the old mobo.

Since the new mobo has been installed and I have had CPU issues, I have tried to reseat the CPU a couple times, each time cleaning thermal paste off and reapplying, no luck.

latest update:
Hey all so update - I went out last night and got a Ryzen 7 2700 to continue trouble shooting. I read once of the common leads to a CPU going bad is a lot of the same issues I was having with my 1800x so I spent the money. I need to get this this up and running stable and well.

I plugged it into the old motherboard Gigabyte GA-AX370-k5 (both motherboards I have are capable with the new 2700) when I started it up the everything seemed to work except for the mobo. The mobo there were no led lights on or anything and was almost like it wasn't getting power but I noticed right when I hit the power button the LEDs on the mobo would flash quick but then go off. It wouldn't post after starting and I continued to get the "CPU" debug light on mobo". I tried clearing CMOS, tried the ram trick.

Think it is just because the Mobo doesn't detect such a new CPU? Do I just turn to the other Mobo I have and try that? I am a bit hesitant with the MSI x470 pro carbon because it seems a bit more complicated with the CPU cooler etc just getting it to run stable normal, I don't need to OC anything.

Mar 22, 2019
Ahead of time I apologize for the book of a read but want everybody to know the full background who may be able to help.

Background:
Setup:
CPU - AMD Ryzan 7 1800x --> now working with Ryzen 7 2700
CPU cooler - Corsair H100 I v2
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-AX370-k5 --> now to current installed MSI x470 pro carbon
VID card - Asus Rog gtx 1080 - A8G - gaming 8GB
Ram - Corsair vengeance LPX 16gb 2x8 sticks DDR4
PSU - RAM'd a Corsair RM650x and went up to a EVGA supernova 1000 P2
HDD - Seagate barracuda 7200

Thanks for the time looking at my issue. I have been fighting this PC for the last couple weeks, first off with a couple of random restarts and after changing CPU cooler out and PSU, I am not to MOBO. Replaced the mobo with a MSI x470 pro carbon last night, thought everything was good, got past bios and into windows and was stable for a bit and was actively updating bios/etc. I must have updated wrong bios version or something because after the restart is was extremely unstable. Flashed new bios and am currently running 7B78v20 and its not making a difference. From start and getting into windows the CPU temp just climbs while my CPU cooler goes through the roof in RPM trying to keep up. I don't know where to turn, ive now put a bunch more money back into this trying to pinpoint the first issue of restarts right after mobo screen and then restarts on game startup with the old mobo.

Since the new mobo has been installed and I have had CPU issues, I have tried to reseat the CPU a couple times, each time cleaning thermal paste off and reapplying, no luck.

latest update:
Hey all so update - I went out last night and got a Ryzen 7 2700 to continue trouble shooting. I read once of the common leads to a CPU going bad is a lot of the same issues I was having with my 1800x so I spent the money. I need to get this this up and running stable and well.

I plugged it into the old motherboard Gigabyte GA-AX370-k5 (both motherboards I have are capable with the new 2700) when I started it up the everything seemed to work except for the mobo. The mobo there were no led lights on or anything and was almost like it wasn't getting power but I noticed right when I hit the power button the LEDs on the mobo would flash quick but then go off. It wouldn't post after starting and I continued to get the "CPU" debug light on mobo". I tried clearing CMOS, tried the ram trick.

Think it is just because the Mobo doesn't detect such a new CPU? Do I just turn to the other Mobo I have and try that? I am a bit hesitant with the MSI x470 pro carbon because it seems a bit more complicated with the CPU cooler etc just getting it to run stable normal, I don't need to OC anything.

Mar 22, 2019
Read this post

That is my post! lol! hopes were oh so high and came crashing down

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
You might have BIOS related issues with 2nd generation Ryzen CPUs.
Replacing a 1st gen Ryzen with a 2nd gen Ryzen might not be the best possible approach to check for CPU related issues, as your Motherboard might not support it out of the box.
Some motherboards need a BIOS update in order to support 2nd gen Ryzens, and some probably won't at all.

P.S.: The Gigabyte GA-AX370-k5 uses the same chipset as my AsRock x370 Killer SLI and it was incompatible with my Ryzen 2700 until I made a BIOS update from P3.20 to P4.60

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019
You might have BIOS related issues with 2nd generation Ryzen CPUs.
Replacing a 1st gen Ryzen with a 2nd gen Ryzen might not be the best possible approach to check for CPU related issues, as your Motherboard might not support it out of the box.
Some motherboards need a BIOS update in order to support 2nd gen Ryzens, and some probably won't at all.

P.S.: The Gigabyte GA-AX370-k5 uses the same chipset as my AsRock x370 Killer SLI and it was incompatible with my Ryzen 2700 until I made a BIOS update from P3.20 to P4.60

Thanks McKeu for your time. Yes I am aware of that as well but that's where I am conflicted because in order to get the bios updated on the AX370 I would need to put back in what I at least (think) is an unstable CPU to update it meanwhile even when updating bios the temp of that CPU Is sky rocketing.

Or do I just go with the MSIx470 which should be capable almost no matter what version of bios is on it at the moment (I had it in at one time with the 1800 trying to test if it was a mobo issue from the get go). But the MSIx470 bios puts me a bit out of my comfort zone and with the 1800 in I couldn't seem to get it stable which is why I think its a CPU issue.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
The new mobo should def. support the 2700 with BIOS 7B78v20.
Like that you can at least make sure if it is the CPU. I couldn't really gather that from your initial post, so let me see, if I got it correct:
You have trouble with the 1800 CPU and think its a CPU related issue, right? And you want to test with a 2700.

Mar 22, 2019
The new mobo should def. support the 2700 with BIOS 7B78v20.
Like that you can at least make sure if it is the CPU. I couldn't really gather that from your initial post, so let me see, if I got it correct:
You have trouble with the 1800 CPU and think its a CPU related issue, right? And you want to test with a 2700.

Long story short yes. I was convinced it was mobo so that's why I got the MSIx470, put that in with the 1800 and was still having issues, got past bios but with the 1800 on the MSI mobo, my cpu temps just kept climbing and I couldn't get it to be stable. CPU temp would get up to 90C and restart then I get the CPU light on the ez debug lights on Mobo. I would love to still use the 1800 versus the newly purchased 2700 (save money if 1800 works) but I have no way to be sure what the true issue is.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
I would just breadboard the whole thing. Take all components out, even the cpu and cooler. Discharge yourself on a heating, the PC case, whatever. Remove the mobo and place it on a wooden board or any other non conducting surface. Then reassemble only the important parts. Be sure the paste on the cpu is plenty, but not too much (don't let it squeeze out the sides of the CPU) and the cooler sits absolutely properly. Place one RAM in the proper slot for testing (depends on mobo, consult the manual). If your mobo has integrated graphics, don't plug in your GPU. Attach the necessary power (CPU, motherboard) and attach only the power switch from the case to the mobo. Plug in screen, keyboard, mouse and power it on.
See what happens. This is the last step I can offer you without unboxing the 2700.-