[SOLVED] Mobo replace = Windows 10 activation issue

Feb 24, 2020
Hi everybody!

I have replaced my aging ASUS Prime Z390-P with the MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. However, upon doing so, the Windows 10 license was deactivated, and I cannot reactivate myself as I get errors in my face. To make it worse, the Windows 10 box with the key was thrown away when I was overseas for a few months due to my renovating house last year.

Yesterday, I got this "you changed your hardware error", and then I got "no product key error".

Do I need to get a new key?

Last edited:
Solution
if its retal key (boxed) then u need to enter product key

if u got older windows which was upgraded to windows 10 or u have OEM licence, then u dont need key anymore, your ms account has digital licence which will activate on its own

Colif

Win 11 Master
Was your old user on win 10 linked to an email address?

You can try entering the email and password into the account login page here -https://account.microsoft.com/account?lang=en-hk&refd=www.google.com

if it works, click on the devices tab and enter same login info again. If there is a PC there it should be your old one. If it does, click on show details under it, and then click Info & support to see details of PC.

If your PC shows here, it might mean your license was linked to your email address on last PC and you should be able to move license.

what errors are you getting?

2nd reply is right, in most activation cases, MS are the only ones who can fix it. Just have to be lucky and get someone there who knows you can move licences. Some of them don't know about this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Feb 24, 2020
Was your old user on win 10 linked to an email address?

You can try entering the email and password into the account login page here -https://account.microsoft.com/account?lang=en-hk&refd=www.google.com

if it works, click on the devices tab and enter same login info again. If there is a PC there it should be your old one. If it does, click on show details under it, and then click Info & support to see details of PC.

If your PC shows here, it might mean your license was linked to your email address on last PC and you should be able to move license.

what errors are you getting?

2nd reply is right, in most activation cases, MS are the only ones who can fix it. Just have to be lucky and get someone there who knows you can move licences. Some of them don't know about this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Yes it's linked. I forgot to mention I've reformatted my system.

First, it's this "you changed your hardware".
And now I got 0x803FA067 with "The last product key you entered can't be used on this copy of Windows."

USAFRet

Titan

And now I got 0x803FA067 with "The last product key you entered can't be used on this copy of Windows."
Where did your original Win 10 license come from?
Apparently something you purchased?

What version was it for, and what version of Win 10 do you have now?

Feb 24, 2020

Windows 10 Home.

Windows 10 Home, using it for gaming.

THe product key came with the CD I purchased, and I used it to install the OS last March.

I got the product key from a retail store.

quote from microsoft
Note: A sharp eyed individual will notice the ambiguous difference between a retail boxed version of Windows 10 from the Microsoft / “Windows Store” and a retail box version of Windows 10 purchased from “an authorized retailer”.

Buy it from the Microsoft Store and you are digitally entitled, buy it from a Retailer and you need a key to re-install and activate Windows 10 (Example: your disk drive fails and you need to re-install Windows 10).

I called the Microsoft Store and asked if this was a typing error in the article named:

Activation in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

Their reply: This is not an error, product purchased from their store have a unique product key that is traceable to a purchase from their store. Be assured that the key inside the box is not known by any Microsoft employee, however the product ID number identifies it as a Microsoft store purchase and therefor you have “Digital Entitlement”. Windows 10 can be re-installed up to 4 additional times and automatically activated on the same device it was originally installed on. Should your computer become unusable you need to call the store before re-installing your store purchased “Retail” version on another computer.