[SOLVED] Mobo upgrade for better ssd speeds

Nov 4, 2020
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my question!

I Have a Asus P8H61 M LK R2 motherboard and recently my father gave me an SSD (Samsung 870 Evo ) but I only get 260 Mb/s instead of the 560 that I'm supposed to get. My specs are a I5 3570, RX 570 8GB and 16GB DDR3 Ram 1333Mhz (2x8gb) Which motherboard should I get to get the most of my new SSD? Or is it even worth it?

Anyway thank you for your time and have a nice day

Solution
A standard hdd gets anywhere from 60-120Mb/s.
You are still well ahead of the game with current speeds.

That board only supports Sata3G (Sata II) on its 4x Sata connectors, which is why you get half the bandwidth. You'd need a motherboard that supports Sata6G (Sata III) to get the full rated speeds. You'd find that in the Z77 class motherboards, which will run you closer to $100 for anything decent that stands a chance of lasting longer than a few months.

For a storage device, the adapter above should work just fine, but if planning on using the Samsung for a boot device through the adapter, I'm not sure if the bios will actually do that using pcie, most back then didn't, I think only the Z68/Z77 would. It has to do with lack of...
Not worth it on a platform (CPU) this old, unless you can find a [predictably used] mobo for dirt cheap. Any money you're spending on CPU/mobo/RAM for your current system is money that could've been put toward a full-on upgrade.

The main benefit you're getting with an SSD is improved latency/response time.

Reactions: Brincanareia

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A standard hdd gets anywhere from 60-120Mb/s.
You are still well ahead of the game with current speeds.

That board only supports Sata3G (Sata II) on its 4x Sata connectors, which is why you get half the bandwidth. You'd need a motherboard that supports Sata6G (Sata III) to get the full rated speeds. You'd find that in the Z77 class motherboards, which will run you closer to $100 for anything decent that stands a chance of lasting longer than a few months.

For a storage device, the adapter above should work just fine, but if planning on using the Samsung for a boot device through the adapter, I'm not sure if the bios will actually do that using pcie, most back then didn't, I think only the Z68/Z77 would. It has to do with lack of native pcie drivers during boot, pcie drivers not loading until the OS loads.

Reactions: Brincanareia
Solution