Mobo Upgrade Storage Transfer Help

James Orami

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I'm upgrading my mobo, which will require me to re-install windows. I currently have windows installed on a 120gb SSD, and I plan on re-installing it to this drive and wiping it. I also have a 1tb HDD, which i use for all storage excluding the OS and a select few important programs. The problem is that I would like to move the important files from my SSD to my HDD before I wipe it. I was wondering if this was possible, and if it is, how to do it. Thanks.

Solution
Sure you can, specifically Users folder is the most valuable asset before migration. It won't hold all the windows settings so surely a fresh install and reconfiguration will be required but in that folder you have program settings for vastly most of the software including browsers (history, favorites, etc) I do copy of that one every time I'm about to splash a new windows installation. If you have games installed on SSD then some of them will have settings hidden in the game folder (Program Files or so) so keep that in mind if you want to hold some settings from specific games.
Copying whole Program Files is rather pointless, you will need a fresh install of them after all.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Sure you can, specifically Users folder is the most valuable asset before migration. It won't hold all the windows settings so surely a fresh install and reconfiguration will be required but in that folder you have program settings for vastly most of the software including browsers (history, favorites, etc) I do copy of that one every time I'm about to splash a new windows installation. If you have games installed on SSD then some of them will have settings hidden in the game folder (Program Files or so) so keep that in mind if you want to hold some settings from specific games.
Copying whole Program Files is rather pointless, you will need a fresh install of them after all.

Solution