Question Mobo's practically dead, need a compatible one I can actually find

damdam88

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Turns out my Asus Z97 mini itx mobo's cpu socket has been the cause of many issues going on with my system (PC randomly shutting down, short circuit, etc). I went through a lot trying to identify this problem which was a real surprise. I couldn't find the same mobo anywhere or any z97 mini alternatives in the country I'm currently in - nor anywhere on the net (found one used on Ebay for $270+shipping, money I'd rather use in upgrading my system). I'm running a 4790K and DDR3 ram and I'd rather upgrade when the next gen arrives so really need a mobo that is compatible with my system. What chipset mini itx mobo would you recommend for my lga 1150 that I can find online and for a reasonable price? I don't have a M2 storage so I don't really need the Z97 features, I guess. Thanks in advance

damdam88

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Yeah, wish I could find a mini ITX Z97 but can't anywhere or it's seriously overpriced on Ebay. The only one I could find suitable for my system is a mini ITX Q87 chipset board by ASUS. Other than the ability to overclock and various ports that I don't use, what kind of features would I lose if I replace my faulty one with a Q87? Any ideas?

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah, wish I could find a mini ITX Z97 but can't anywhere or it's seriously overpriced on Ebay. The only one I could find suitable for my system is a mini ITX Q87 chipset board by ASUS. Other than the ability to overclock and various ports that I don't use, what kind of features would I lose if I replace my faulty one with a Q87? Any ideas?
You might still have to do an OS install to get it to boot or clear blue screens. So if that was what you were trying to avoid, you might not.